Prefab Bike Park

Very cool - http://www.imba.com/blog/shane-wilson/bikeparkitect-factory-tour

That’s really cool! Lately I’ve been wonderign about the feasibility of an indoor bike park in Halifax. would be cool to be able to ride all year long regardless of the weather but I’m not sure people would pay to ride inside plus there are the liability issues, etc.

Set one up in your basement! I bet those aren’t cheap…

It really involves generating demand. There were at least a couple of public indoor skateboard parks in the past, the cost per use was fairly low. If I remember correctly they were run/staffed and at least partially funded by the Recreation Department, waivers had to be signed about liability. They only existed during non hockey months because they were in hockey rinks. The Bloomfield ramp was year round.

For liability you get insurance, which adds to overhead leaving your ownly question “if i build it, will they come?” personally… I think we lack the population.

Even the skooter kids outnumber the skateboarders and bmxers at our statefunded skateparks, it seems.

X2…

Makes me wonder what our per capita active mountain biker population is.

If Halifax is like 250k would we have 100 active mountain bikers that get out 1/week on average?

(I think that is a low ball number, but it makes me wonder what other would estimate.)

[quote=“JeffV”]Makes me wonder what our per capita active mountain biker population is.

If Halifax is like 250k would we have 100 active mountain bikers that get out 1/week on average?

(I think that is a low ball number, but it makes me wonder what other would estimate.)[/quote]

I think your number is high for for active riders but low for average rides per week. Gotta be 2 rides average

well pedaltrout has 1117 members…

[quote=“muddy”]I think your number is high for for active riders but low for average rides per week. Gotta be 2 rides average
[/quote]

I think 100 is probably a pretty good guess, but I would consider someone an ‘active’ rider if they get out on a trail once a month. Life can be busy, if you don’t live to ride, once a week can be hard to achieve, I consider myself ‘active’ but I be lucky to get 20 rides a year on proper trails.

It would definitely have to cater to the skatepark crowd as well… but still probably not even close to feasible.