Question for riders who wear sunglasess

My buddy and I were riding yesterday, and were talking about most helmets not having a feature to hold sunglasses when you are not wearing them. I wear sunglasses on every ride, more for protection than anything as I wear contacts, but there are often times when they start to fog up, I get sweaty and sweat drips on the lenses or I just want to take them off for a few minutes due to light conditions, etc. and the only option I have is to stop, take them off and put them in my pack, pockets, etc. which is annoying.

I know certain manufacturers, Oakley, Smith, and a few others, have recently come out with helmets that actually have sunglasses holders or features for this, but I am wondering if any of you have come up with solutions for this without buying a brand new helmet.

The old put them through the vents in your helmet trick works fine for riding on the road, but not so much when bouncing around on the trails. (already lost a nice pair this way)

I considered trying to modify my helmet but don’t want to void the warranty or impact its ability to offer protection, so looking for other ideas, if anyone has any…

I wear eyeglasses full time so I’ve never dealt with on/off sunglasses, but what about a strap? Cinch it a bit tighter when the glasses are off so they don’t dangle too much while you’re riding. But not too tight that it chokes you :slight_smile:

1 Like

I always wear sunglasses for eye protection, but I don’t usually take them off. Won’t help with fogging, but I wear a headband and that takes care of the sweat problem. https://haloheadband.ca/collections/pullovers

1 Like

I was just looking at those online and wondering if they work? Would you recommend?
I sweat just thinking about sweating, and it drives me crazy when it drips on my sunglasses while riding.

1 Like

With Respect to sweat dripping onto your lens, get a HALO sweat band from your LBS or online. Works wonders.

Learn to recognize what conditions will make it useless to even try wearing eye pro.

The glasses/helmet fit is for sure something that wont work with every combo. I use POC, and they barely work together.

Could always bring the soft case and slam then in a bib or back packet pocket as well.

1 Like

I wear contacts while riding and can relate. I went and bought some Tifosi veloce sun glasses and haven’t looked back. There is a little slit in the corners of the lens to help prevent fogging. They also come standard with 3 different lens (Dark,medium and light). I just pick a lens for the conditions and off I go and never need to take them off. I use them for running, road and trail riding and haven’t had any issues yet.

I have a halo headband and it does work very well, but if I am riding for more than 90 minutes, all bets are off as I am like @Nige, so looking for other options…

I have a small supply of cheapo sunglasses that have been given to me over the years at events or in swag bags- equivalent to the dollar store or cheap drugstore shades. That way I’m not too fussed if they get scratched or lost when I pull them off for fogging or light issues.
I have been considering shelling out for Ryders AntiFog and photochromic shades, in the hopes they would be able to stay on my face more often-anyone have any experience?

Try buffing some lemon juice on the back of the lenses prior to a ride. It’s an old motorcycle racing trick.

3 Likes

My hydration pack has a small band on the shoulder strap just above where the chest strap connects. when I want to take my sunglasses off I hook them onto this strap, often without stopping. You could try sewing a small band or loop on your hydration pack shoulder strap. The strap is elastic and tight so it holds well and I haven’t lost a pair of glasses yet. Even after going over the bars.

2 Likes

I’ll give you my solution. Eye buy direct. The light pink lenses in your prescription. Work in all conditions and dont fog. Have proven to be better for resisting fogging than any of my RYDERS paired with CONTACTS.
Pros: works, cheaper than fancy sunglasses, no contacts, never have had to remove them in 800 km this year
Cons: rose colored glasses. Life is good man

3 Likes