Rear End?!

I just rode Farside and Death March. Conditions were wet and slippery. I’m running a Nobby Nic on the back pressured about as low as I dare go and it sucks in these conditions. Anyone, and I’m sure there is no shortage of opinions on this topic, out there tell me what rear tire is ideal for wet riding in our rootie rocky conditions around Halifax?

I like Kenda Nevegal or Geax Goma but everyone will have their opinion

I’m not a fan of the nobby nic. I’ve been riding Specialized ground controls this year and in general they are a great overall tire. It’s predictable, and lasts. The grip is good on all conditions and (knock on wood) haven’t flatted on me.

Been riding Kenda Excavators 2.25" for over a year and they hook up well. I’m liking Maxxis Minion DHF 2.35" too.

I have heard a lot of good reviews about the specialized tires and I was thinking I may try them. Oddly enough I’ve not had any of the tires mentioned so far on my bike. Working for Michelin, I’ve been running their Racers for about Three summers now but they don’t like mud at all and wear quick, besides that they are a great tire, really fast with good side walls. I’ve run an X King on the back and it wasn’t to bad. Maxxis $, and don’t know much about Geax.

I also like the Kenda Excavators as a rear. They roll better than the Nevegal without giving up much grip. I still have the stock Maxxis Ardents on my FS and they are not a good tire for our trails/conditions.

I’ve been using the Maxxis Advantage 2.25 on the rear for a few years and really like it, great all around tire. I agree with ceebs6 about the Ardent- crappy traction for around here.

I’m surprised of the hate for the Ardents. I won’t argue about the Nobby Nics. They came on my bike and I couldn’t swap them out soon enough, absolutely hated them. I replaced them with Ardents and I’ve found them great the last ~2.5 seasons and was considering buying another pair for next year.

While I’m not familiar with these trails, I wanted to add that tire choice aside, technique over wet roots will have a big impact. For example, those who are able to modulate their power output subconsciously as they ride over slippery obstacles, and even use body language to make it over, instead of pedaling through, will have a much easier time. As far as tire choice, I’m typically will run a knobbier tire up front and a much faster rolling tire in the rear. My philosophy is that as long as I can “drive” the front, the rest of the bike has to follow. That certainly doesn’t work the other way around.

2 Likes

Michelin tires are super heavy most of the time, and the compounds still aren’t the best.
I’ve tried the newest generation rock’r tires. They give superb grip, but are well over 1000g. No thanks. I’m going to get rid of them this year.

If you like the nobby nics, take a look at the hans dampf. Beefier tread with more open spacing, and a nice round profile for predictable grip. They also are pretty big for the 2.35" width they claim, so you can run them tubeless with decently low pressures and not roll them off the rims.

I use Nevegals. 2.1" Dual Tread Compound on the rear (a little more durable). 2.3" Stick-E on the front (a little less durable, but a little more grip). I like the Nevegals. Pretty decent grip. I’ve run Specialized tires for a lot of years. I enjoyed them, but kept tearing sidewalls, long before the tread wore out, so I thought I’d try a different tire. Read good reviews of the Nevegals, so went with those.

I’m surprised by the comments about Nobby Nics. I’m on my third rear Nobby Nic in three years and have really liked them. I’m using the Evolution Line with Pacestar compound. Maybe the dual compound Performance Line version (it is about half the price) doesn’t perform as well.

My only complaint is they don’t last all that long. I’ve got a Hans Dampf on the front that’s been on since the first Nobby Nic on the rear and it’s still looking pretty good. I suppose it wouldn’t last as long on the rear though.

I’ve been running a 2.35 Hans Dampf up front, the cheapest wire bead, hard rubber version just to see what all the wide tire fuss was about. It handles things well in the front but I don’t think I would buy that wide again.
I totally agree with the comment on a riders technique, I’ve been riding a long time and getting a little slower, but if you are not pedalling you are not going to get up a hill. I need all the help I can get through mechanical advantage!