Recommendation on hitch rack

Does 1Up ship to Canada now, or do people pick them up in the US?

I had mine shipped here.
FWIW I may be putting my 1Up 2" Super Duty with an additional third tray, and EZ pull handles up for sale soon (a roof rack suites my current needs better). Not sure yet though, and have not though of a price.

1 Like

Dibs if you put it up for sale!

PS Iā€™m in the Halifax area this weekend.

1 Like

Lots of excellent advice here. Could I add to this question issues around weight? Iā€™m 69 and can handle a 30-lb hitch rack by myself. My receiver is 1&1/4". Iā€™m looking for a rack that can carry my 49"-wheelbase Trek Fuel Ex-e as well as my wifeā€™s light road bike with fenders. I looked at a friendā€™s Kuat with the nice wheel clamps but Iā€™m a little bit worried about its weight. For the people that have commented so far, does the weight of your rack make it difficult for a single person to take it on or off? Any recommendations for racks that arenā€™t too heavy but still sturdy and reliable?

1 Like

You will need a rack that is e-bike equipped. Check the specs on any of the racks you are looking at and it should be specified if it is E-bike rated. Or at the very least, the weight it can handle. Make sure your bikes fall under the max weight limit.

I have the Yakima Holdup EVO and itā€™s excellent. Super stable with and without bikes on it, no rattles.

Yakima has a fantastic warranty program as well.

Seconding everything you said @riderx, but also noting that there are ramps for Thule and other racks to move heavy bikes onto the rack.

The Thule would be better for an ebike, in my opinion.

2 Likes

Yes. My thule T2 Pro(2") is a heavy rack. I can move it on and off the car with ease, but I do think it could be a problem for many. Especially lining it up to put it on. Iā€™m not sure what it weights. Yakima Dr Tray is very light rack, but it had many problems too so I got rid of it.

A friend of a friend who I met / rode with worked for Yakima (I believe he was an engineer there). Suffice to say he used a Thule hitch rack. That was probably nine years ago, so they may be better now.
That said, Iā€™ve had good luck with their FrontLoader, and HighRoad roof racks.

Thereā€™s a Kuat Transfer for sale on FB Marketplace. Donā€™t know the seller. Excellent price for like new condition.

1 Like

I have had many Yakima products over the years and my current Yakima Hold-up is 9 years old and has held up extremely well, especially seeing that it lives on a truck 9 months out of the year. I have had nothing but good experiences with all of my Yakima products from roof racks 15 years ago to my current gear which includes the original gen Hold-up and the plus 2 addition that I only install as needed.

1 Like

The Thule T2 XTR Pro is heavier than 30lbs but it does have wheels so you can pull or push it instead of carrying it from where you are storing it instead of having to carry it. You still have to lift to put it in the hitch but that is just a quick lift straight up. It also has over 50lbs per bike weight limit so it would carry the EX-E no problem.

Mine is 45lbs or 20kg. Just measured it.

Is it the rack itself or where it goes into the hitch? If the latter they make isolators for that reason. Itā€™s just a wearable thin sleeve that makes up the gap.

The rack itself. It is exceptionally solid in the hitch.

1 Like

Fair enough! I canā€™t stand rattles of any kind, I have spent unreasonable amounts of time fitting rubber washers, o-rings, grommets, etc where things squeak.

2 Likes

For anyone that has a 1up USA rack, is there any play in the locking/hinge mechanism when itā€™s in the storage (up) position? This is my number one complaint about the Thule XT Pro. When there are no bikes and itā€™s up, it rattles when driving over rough roads.

No play on any of the 1Ups Iā€™ve used. The allen key that snugs the rack to the actual hitch does back off over time, so you get some play there if you donā€™t tighten it every now and then. A little blue Loctite would presumably fix it.

Has anyone ever had issues here with the police and a folded up rack obstructing the view of the license plate? Recently got a Kuat rack and keeping it on 24/7, but it does block the plate.

None of this? https://www.youtube.com/shorts/EbBwC8QrcGg