Shorts recommendos

All the shorts I wear for biking are dying a slow death. Any recommendations? Or is everyone just wearing cut-off jeans?
Looking for something low key, no day-glo colours or big logos. I don’t really need a liner.

2 Likes

Honestly check online. I hate to be that guy but a pair of nice shorts with liners can be had for about 50 to 70 dollars. Highly recommend the Endura Humvee series. Really built shorts.

2 Likes

The Sportchek website has tons of bike shorts, free delivery and returns can be done at the store. I’ve had good luck with Sugoi and Dakine.

3 Likes

Garneau still the best designed shorts for biking. Lots of pockets and durable.

1 Like

Cut off jeans are my go to for rainy or muddy days, can’t beat denim

1 Like

Unless it everything I want for an awesome price, not a big fan of ordering clothing online, as I’m perpetually in between sizes! Ordering two sizes, waiting a few weeks then having to return one, isn’t my idea of fun…

Sportwheels just marked in stock shorts, jerseys, socks, and T-shirts down 20% Fox and Garneau.
Worth a look if u are in the area.

2 Likes

I second the Humvees. I have two pair of the 3/4 length ( a little warm for 25+ degrees) and the shorts. The 3/4 have plenty of room for knee pads and work well for cooler rides with tights underneath. I check CRC frequently and wait for the sales.

4 Likes

I have a bias but I really like Pearl Izumi Summit shorts. Retail on them isn’t cheap but I haven’t had any issues with them for two years now including crashes, digging and bushwacking.

Before that I just wore whatever long shorts I could find in the sportswear isle at ValueVillage or Winners. Lots of cheap “technical” fabrics available there.

3 Likes

Where whatever the hell you want, but under it, I’d never be caught without my Assos bibs. Sugoi is goog too, but I love my Assos bibs. Can’t beat them for comfort. Nobody sells them here, so just go with Sugoi from your LBS. The shorts I wear on top are whatever ones from MEC I find. Zip the pant part off, and bam! Casual bike shorts!

2 Likes

The good thing about proper MTB-specific shorts is that they are less likely to snag on the seat in more technical situations.

My favourite under baggy-liners are Gore Bike Wear bibs. So comfortable, great quality chamois and no stupid elastic cuffs. I hate Sugoi bike shorts. They chafe like mad on me.

4 Likes

I recommend Sombrio shorts, my favorite. Good durability, fit and function. I wear them with a pair of cycling shorts as a liner.

3 Likes

What is the reason/benefit to a bib vs lined shorts, or is it just personal preference?@brightwhite @landandwater

2 Likes

None of the tightness around you belly/waist. Once it’s gone, you don’t go back.

4 Likes

You’ll find the more fancy mtb shorts don’t come with chamois liners. This is because the chamois quality makes a difference and people want to choose their own and often use bibs. The chamois that comes on a pair of lined shorts for 59.99 at Sportcheck leave a lot to be desired.

4 Likes

I will echo the need for a proper MTB short that won’t snag on the seat and I also love the Gore Bike Wear bib shorts. Bib shorts stay in place.

3 Likes

I own seven pairs of cycling liners/spandex shorts and only one pair are bibs. I use them all weekly (two pairs are over 20 years old!) The bibs are the shorts I choose for any ride longer than an hour. They are the most comfortable. They don’t ride up or slip down. They don’t chafe. There is truly no comparison.

3 Likes

Yup, I’ve been caught while positioning my body back over the seat after shifting my weight to the rear. I was wearing loose basketball style shorts. This was before I realized that there was shorts available for MTB :P.

2 Likes

2 brands I would avoid like the plague are 100 % and Fox. Nice but about as tough as a marshmallow. They come apart for the relatively high price in comparison to Endura and Dakine.

2 Likes

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. Honestly I find I’m using a chamois less and less for rides under 2 hours and haven’t noticed much difference. I have a pair of sugoi bibs.
Agreed, the fit of outer shorts is more important to me, as well as durability and pocket placement. I have a pair of club ride mountain surf shorts that are awesome, but after about 3yrs are falling apart so I’m hesitant to buy another pair.

2 Likes