Should I run a heavier rear tire?

I’ve gone back to a 29 x 2.35" Forekaster with an EXO casing at 25 psi as my rear tire. I find it to be a great all around tire in the loam and roots, dry or wet.

1 Like

I love them best XC meets trail tire on the market only on steep loose stuff like Wentworth do I wish I had a bit more but could also be solved by better brakes

It’s interesting to see how everyone goes about tire choice differently. Very cool.

Is anyone riding a Rekon rear tire?

I used to run a HR2 / Ikon or HR2 / Ardent Race in summer and HR2 / HR2 when I had a 27.5. That always seemed a good fast mix for hardpack and loose over hard where I was living in NZ. Most of my riding there was long slow up hill climbs and long fast downs which were a mix of new style flow trails and old school tech trails (with associated online arguments of dumbing down).

Since I moved here and to 29ers I’ve been happy with the DHF / DHR 2 mix they came with. They seem to be wearing well and fast enough for me in both Whopper and Fight where my of my rides are,

If I was going to stick to fight only I’d want to try a DHR 2 / Rekon mix or something like that.

Curious if anyone has tried the new-ish Maxxis Aggressor? I’ve been a big fan of the ADvantage (2.4 folding bead, EXO) for a long time but Maxxis has discontinued most versions of that tire and I only have a couple left in my stash. The Aggressor looks like a worthy replacement.

Switched to an Aggressor 2.5 60 TPI (from a DD Assegai) on the rear and love it. Comparatively light, rolls quickly, can run low pressure for traction on off camber granite.

3 Likes

I’ve been running a 2.3 DC Aggressor on the back for a few years now. I find it works very well. Plenty of grip in most conditions, rolls well and also wears well.

4 Likes

Same here…Aggressor 2.3 on the rear.

3 Likes

Yup I like the 2.3 Aggressor in the rear also, I find the EXO casing a tad on the thin side, only switched this year to Goodyear Escape because the sidewalls are thicker and still saved 100g.

2 Likes

I’ve got a Rekon+ on my hardtail.

Views on it? Looks a bit like an Ardent, which I used to have real issues with the lack of grip on the side knobs.

I’m also on a recon+ (2.8) on my hardtail it is fine but I would never consider running the regular recon. Switching to 2.6 Goodyear’s for the hardtail soon. I don’t like Ardents at all, but can’t really give concrete reasons, Just never liked them when I tried them.

1 Like

I found them unpredictable in the loose stuff.

1 Like

I like it so far. Good compromise between dry traction and rolling resistance. Not too much slip on wet roots and it’s great on rock.

1 Like

I am bias towards what I run for tires, but I have had great luck with my Michelin’s, the grip is easily as good as the assegai. Not quite as forgiving but rewards being pushed hard. And the sidewalls are stiff, which is good and bad. My wild enduro has a 3x30tpi casing, which makes for a still sidewall. So if you are a heavier ride that struggles with tire squirm or super aggressive rider this could be a great option. I tested out a new rear tire, the Michelin wild am, I really like the grip and low weight but have already cut the tire and run it higher pressure then I would like. But I also am aggressive and the only time I had issues was at fight trail and casing a rock at the bottom of a rock face compression and cutting my tire. Other then that it is amazing! I am a huge fan of Michelin for their price, and would totally recommend the wild enduro to anyone as a front tire.

I ran a Michelin AM last season and running the Enduro on the rear this year. I haven’t made up my mind which I like more. I only get a season out of them because I’m heavy and I ride the granite a lot. I’ve had the Enduro up front for a couple seasons now. I find it a little sketchy at times on the rock because of the large side knobs. I really like the WTB Vigilante, they seem to handle everything well. We here in Halifax have a pretty wide variety of conditions for a tire to be good at everything.

1 Like

Having looked at how torn up my rear tire has got from Fight of late, and looking at the opinions I’m going with an aggressor.

Last question is DoubleDown or Exo?

Current Exo DHR2 is weeping sealant out of about 10 spots on the sidewalls and knobs are pretty torn up but no punctures on the tread.

1 Like

EXO+, it’s a decent middle ground.

1 Like

That’s the trouble with the Aggressor, no EXO+, only Exo or DD. No middle ground.

Personally, I like the weight of the EXO. Saving a half pound of rotating weight on the rear is worth it to me.

1 Like

I ran DH casing Assegais front and rear, once. So slow.

1 Like