Snowshoeing in Earltown

Ah well. It was a great turnout anyway…something like 45 people. Maybe another time.

This was sent to my e-mail the other day and I thought I would pass it along. We have about 12-18 inches of snow in the woods here now so this should be a good event. Earltown is out of the way but offers some of the best hiking, biking and snowshoeing in the province right now (my biased opinion) and a great licensed, pancake house.

Hopefully I’ll see some of you at one of these events.

Take the Roof off Winter

Colchester and Pictou County Upcoming Events

Sat., Jan. 16, 2010 10 AM Snowshoe or Hike Event depending on trail conditions. 8 - 9 km, Sandy Cope Trail, (approximately 3 ½ to 4 ½ hours).
BRING lunch, water, and proper clothing, and snowshoes if you have them.
If needing snowshoes call ahead to reserve. They can be supplied by the Municipality of Colchester.
MEET at Gully Lake Wilderness Trail Head, Earltown - Kemptown Road.
SPONSORED by Cobequid Eco-Trails Society, Municipality of Colchester, and Hike Nova Scotia.
norrisw@ns.sympatico.ca

Sat. Jan 23, 2010 10 AM Snowshoe / Cross Country Ski Event, 5 to 6 km, Earltown Lakes and Portage Trail (approximately 2 ½ hours). BRING water, proper clothing, and snowshoes if you have them.
If needing snowshoes call ahead to reserve. They can be supplied by the Municipality of Colchester.
Skis can be rented from The Truro Cross Country Ski Club.
The show shoes and skis will be brought to the site for you.
MEET at Sugar Moon Farm, Alex MacDonald Road, Earltown.
SPONSPORED by Cobequid Eco-Trails Society, Municipality of Colchester, and Hike Nova Scotia.
CONTACT Norris Whiston 902-657-3476
norrisw@ns.sympatico.ca

Sat., Feb. 6, 2010
10:00 AM to 3:00 PM Cross country ski event in Gully Lake Wilderness - A Parks are for People Event

Cross-Country Skiing at Gully Lake Wilderness Area
A guided cross-country ski excursion through hardwood forest trails within the provincially-designated wilderness area located near Mount Thom. The 3,810 hectare (9,400 acre) Gully Lake Wilderness Area protects the largest remaining patch of mature forest in the Truro-Pictou area and was home to the Hermit of Gully Lake. Winter snow cover is fairly reliable.
BRING your cross country skis, lunch, water, and proper clothing. Suitable for adults
and youth 12 years or older. MEET at the Gully Lake Wilderness Trail Head on Kemptown Road, in Earltown.
Participants are responsible for their own transportation. Car pooling will be coordinated for those interested. SPONSORED by the Nova Scotia Department of Environment-Protected Areas Branch. Pre-register by calling Oliver Maass at 902-424-2123 or

maassoc@gov.ns.ca. Group size is limited.

Sun., Feb. 7, 2010, 1 - 4 PM snow shoe event on the Cape to Cape Trail from Durham to Scotsburn, 8 km (approximately 2 ½ to 3 hours) MEET at Scotsburn Recreation Building BRING lunch, water, and proper clothing, and snowshoes.
SPONSORED by Scotsburn Recreation Association, Pictou County Trail Association, and Hike Nova Scotia
fran.wyman@gmail.com

Sat. Feb. 20 11am 5 or 6 km Snowshoe Event.
MEET at Sugar Moon Farm, Earltown, Rt 311 Turn left at Alex MacDonald Rd.
BRING lunch, water, and proper clothing, and snowshoes if you have them.

SPONSORED by Central Nova Volkssport, Municipality of Colchester,
and Hike Nova Scotia
If needing snowshoes, call ahead to reserve. They are supplied by the Municipality of Colchester. CONTACT
Sheila Wilson 895-2007 (leave message)

Sounds like lots of snowy fun. We might make it up this Saturday. Out of curiousity, what’s considered to be the Trailhead for the Gully Lake trails?

Should also mention that we shoed at the Links today and the conditions are excellent. There are also snowmobile tracks through some of the main roads and I think they would make for fairly decent xc skiing.

The trailhead is on the Kemptown Road about 4km from the HWY 311/kemptown road intersection. There is a road that is normally drivable in the summer to the actual trail but this time of year is probably too snowcovered. We will likely me meeting on the Kemptown road. I’ve included a map. http://resource.pedaltrout.com/old_site_images/4da70aa1cf229bc171b718ac9ae7cb00.jpg

We are morons. We didn’t look at the map closely enough before we left and we ended up driving up Taylor Road looking for everyone. When we couldn’t find ayone we went up a Kemptown Road a little ways but figured we were in the wrong place and turned around. Arghhh! I hope you guys had a great time and I hope we learned our lesson.