So.. MEC Bikes?

Saw the catalog. I’d have to say the prices are higher than what I expected. With the buying power of MEC I would’ve thought they could have a better price on what they speced on their bikes.

It will definitely affect department store a lot more than the local shops.

Buying power? That’s part of the problem for them, they have almost no buying power in the bike market since their units and distribution are minimal.

Any bike brand that you can name from the biggest (Giant, Specialized, Trek, etc) to the very smallest brand (KHS, Fuji, Brodie, etc) buys and imports more bikes than MEC does.

I assume everyones new catalogs have come in, fresh with all the new pictures of their bike line up.

What are the thoughts? Here’s mine in a nut shell

• pretty boring looking, but what should we expect really. Plain and functional is MEC’s game. Look at their clothes.
  • Prices don’t seem out of touch with reality, pretty competative really, nice diversity in the lineup.
  • I can’t see me buying one, but hopefully they’ll pull more people away from Canadian Tire and expose more people to “bike shop” quality bikes.

I was a little surprised at the price point. I was expecting them to be more affordable. The component spec. on them on a big brand name bike would likely be within $100 if not even tighter.

I tend to agree. Those who ride lots and know what they like will not leave the store that they are loyal to. Hopefully it does stop department stores from selling so much crap.

However in the end, it doesn’t so much matter what you ride just as long as you are riding it.

Speaking of walmarts… I was there yesterday and they had their shitty 109$ mountain bikes sitting out in the rain.

Yes, thats exactly the ride for me, a rickety peice of shit that has been sitting in the rain before I even bought it. Awesome. I agree it doesn’t matter as long as you are riding, but its hard to defend dept store bikes to anyone that wants to actually ride, and not just fart around in their driveway.

Saw the catalog. I’d have to say the prices are higher than what I expected. With the buying power of MEC I would’ve thought they could have a better price on what they speced on their bikes.

It will definitely affect department store a lot more than the local shops.

I haven’t see the catalog yet, are they actually doing mailorder /online sales for the bikes? I had thought they were only available at limited locations?

It would appear that they are. I’m really curious about who they think their market is… I would imagine most MEC members are already loyal bike shop customers, and most people who buy Walmart bikes don’t know enough about bikes to go looking for anything better.