STATE OF EMERGENCY - where to ride

In other words, I was totally kidding about wrandees being a good place to go to. I hoped people would have realized that.

As much as I’d love to get out on the trails, staying off them for now is a small sacrifice given the big picture. My plan is to finally work on my wheelies in my backyard or an empty parking lot.

3 Likes

I foresee my manual machine getting a lot more use. Manuals and wheelies for the win!

2 Likes

Some more confusion from the Chronicle Herald.

“Unfortunately, one of the unintended consequences, because of the way we define a trail as a park in our bylaw, all of our trails had to close,” Coun. Shawn Cleary explained in a phone interview Monday.

“I think a lot of people are confused. Well, what’s provincial? What’s municipal? Where can I go and where can’t I go?” Cleary said.

For example, people walking or biking on the Beechville-Lakeside-Timberlea (BLT) trail on provincially-owned land would have to stop before it switches over to the Chain of Lakes trail on municipally-owned land.

Cleary said he’s hoping to remove trails from the definition of a park in bylaw P-600.

“Unfortunately, it’s one of those situations where people have to go look for information on the municipal website, and even there it’s not quite clear because we’ve got Halifax-area trails listed on our parks and rec site, but some of them are actually provincially owned,” Cleary said, adding he’s received a number of calls for clarification on what’s open and what’s closed.

“I’d love to be able to make the change happen today, but unfortunately only council can change that and I don’t know when we’re going to have a council meeting,” said Cleary, explaining council meetings must be public and held in person as per provincial legislation.

1 Like

Here’s an update on trail closures: HalifaxToday.ca: HRM offers up clarification on municipal trail closures.

2 Likes

I think the Premier clarified the intent to something reasonable on Monday, my interpretation at the moment is // don’t go out of your way into other neighbourhoods to get your exercise, Stay in your local area, if there is a trail nearby, then use it within social distancing guidelines.

We need to stay healthy, both physically and mentally, stay separated from each other and certainly stay the hell home alone if we are sick to not pass it on. Our health care system needs us for a change, lets help!

3 Likes

We have rule of law here, so the Premier suggesting something means nothing at all. If they want me to not do something, it needs to be clear and legislated. These closures are anything but for most people. Having said that, I know what I have to do in this time of crises to protect my friends, neighbors and other members of the community. The premier is still a back stabbing pile of steaming feces in my books, and I don’t listen to him. I listen to experts instead.

2 Likes

Sticking to your own neighbourhood becomes important for contact tracing.

After this stage of social distancing burns out travel cases and early transmission it’ll reset the baseline and then the authorities will be better set up to respond to individual clusters.

3 Likes

Well, at least we’re in that zone between where it isn’t frozen enough to ride with studs or dry enough to ride with regular tires.

3 Likes

I agree! Trails suck, stay home :slight_smile:
My wife works the front lines at the hospital, and shit is about to get bad.
I thank you all for doing your part and social distancing and staying home (away from people).

5 Likes

Please tell your wife I say thank you. We need to appreciate those people who are on the front lines.

2 Likes

Second that, as I’m sure does everyone else here. And thank YOU, Nova, for supporting HER. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’m still seeing rides pop up on Strava. There’s no way those trails are in their neighbourhood. Don’t be stupid folks, you’re going to ruin it for everyone.

2 Likes

That’s already happened the only option they have left is house arrest.

1 Like

Who cares if you ride outside your neighborhood on the roads or the few open trails… I have been commuting to work by bike outside my neighborhood since SHTF, no big deal.

That said if anyone is dumb enough to strava their ride on a closed trail right now then they deserve the fine. #fuckstrava

4 Likes

If people leave their neighbourhoods then it can make contact tracing exponentially harder.

If they can identify a community where the virus is present and all contacts they’ve had then they can deal with just that group and not have to lock everything down.

5 Likes

I feel you dude, but if government is telling people to stay home and the mountain bikers are still getting out there driving to trailheads, riding in groups, etc. it will be remembered. It only weakens our position with bureaucracy in the future and will possibly make it harder for us to gain and keep land access. Not to mention the whole disease aspect.

4 Likes

I made out to the park today but forgot to Strava.

7 Likes

I moved back to the UK last week (bad timing or what!)

But the local MTB mag has the below which most of the local riders are abiding by… I’m lucky that I live a mile from the best trails in the area (no bikes here though)

9 Likes

Lots of people still going Fight and leaving evidence behind via the interwebs GPS bragging websites.

1 Like