Strava to blame for increase in complaints?

Maybe we need a tagline or slogan to go with every trail posted - something like “Ride Smart” or “Respect the Ride” to remind people to think before they build, maintain and ride.

http://www.mbaction.com/Main/News/Strava_To_Blame_For_Recent_Increase_In_Mountain_Bi_5896.aspx

Thoughts?

First thought?

Probably true.

Second thought?

Putting speed limits on a bicycle in the forest is stupid. I figure if I don’t have any GPS, I don’t know I’m speeding. They must have some really fast trails there.

With multi use trails, especially one that receives a lot of traffic, there has to be some sort of way to ensure safety for all users. Point Pleasant Park used to be a regular haunt of mine between classes at SMU. However, with the sheer number of pedestrians and dog walkers, I haven’t ridden there is many years. It is just not enjoyable. With the other options available, I wouldn’t waste my time heading there with a bike.

I realize this article is about a larger area, presumably with more, longer trails. Other factors may include proximity to urban areas, time of year, and an increase in overall usership. We have seen at Wrandees how an increase in both population and pedestrian use has considerably diminished bike use (that and inconsiderate dog walkers!).

The article itself is far from indepth and only reveals a small portion of the full story. However, it does show a trend that as cyclists we may need to keep an eye on for certain trails in our neck of the woods.

How many people use Strava around here?

I would use it if I had it, RH.

R.X., never thought of the multi-use stuff. Good call.

I use Strava regularly on my rides through my Iphone. Gives a good gps record and keeps track of your times/speeds and you can break the ride into segments and record times for each of them. There are a lot of additional tweaks you can use on the web version too to pull out more interesting infro on your rides too.

I used MapMyRide last year but enjoy Strava much more.

Maybe it is a problem there, there are lots of factors as riderx pointed out.
For us here, one could argue that posting GPS tracks could increase traffic on a trail that won’t be able to handle the increase or that s idesignated hiking only. An example of this could be the Earltown trails, bikes are actually not permitted according to any official documentation that I have read.
The other posibility I see is that landowners may tolerate riding and/or trail building on their property, (if they even know it’s happening) but may get jittery when it’s publicly posted and could take steps to shut the trails down, liablity bla, bla…

That being said, I ride with a GPS often because I pretty much ride alone and like to try as many new trails as I can when I do actually get to ride. I may not be that familliar with the trail and don’t feel like getting lost in the woods so I use GPS tracks from all sorts of sites including Strava (they can be downloaded with a work around) and I really appreciate people taking the time to upload them for others.

Good points bent.

I use GPS to prevent getting lost as well, and also appreciate the sharing of information that happens. With the internet the information is distritibuted so much faster, which is mostly good…

As long as we continue to practice good judgement regarding what trail to ride when, and how we ride etc. we will hopefully prevent any major conflicts.

Thankfully, we have great folks like Sue, Troy, Randy, Jim and many others who have stepped up to speak for mountain bikers to attain permission and deal with the liablility concerns. The woodville hiking trails and the landmark agreement with Uniacke Estates are perfect present examples.

I don’t buy the arguement that making tracks public will have a negative effect of more people using it. Advocating and sharing our interest in MTB is what this site and others are about. That too will have more people using trails. (a good thing i say)

Most people are resposible trail users, admittedly a few are not, therefore the publicly posted trails will mostly be ones that are proper trails without any issues regarding the right to use them.

Strava has a flag button, that can be used to mark a trail as unsafe. Maybe that same mechanism could be used to flag a trail as " MTB not permitted here".

The people working for legal trails deserve a medal.
I don’t particularly think advocating and posting mtb tracks is bad either, just looking at the problem in the original article and thinking about how it could manifest itself here, that’s what came to mind. The thing is mtb so small here we just won’t have the issues or level of management that California does.
I say ride, have fun and swing a rake or shovel where you ride from time to time. If you build a trail, post it up for others to enjoy, the amount of damage even an illegal trail can do is so minor when compaired to logging or another condo development.

In other strava news…

Some people can get competitive beyond what is heathy or safe. Kind of like the video gamers we hear about in South Korea that die of dehydration from playing 2-3 days straight. Here’s an article I found about Strava being sued for causing the death a rider striving to reclaim his KOM (king of mountain) status on thier leader board. There is also mention of a pedestrian being killed by a bike who was tracking themself with Strava at the time.

http://allthingsd.com/20120619/gps-app-strava-sued-over-cyclists-death/

As was mentioned by rally_kia and bent6543, these incidents are in more common populus areas.

sharing trails is cool, til it gets to the point that the trail is spammed into uselessness and then noone wants to swing a rake or shovel to keep it in a reasonable riding condition. original trail builders get reluctant to share when they see their hard work trashed …at least in the hrm. my 2 cents worth.

A victim of thier own success, I suppose. Some trails are going to get more use because they are just really fun to ride or convienient or both. (thinking whopper for me).

Perhaps sites like Strava could also have a role in providing MTBers with a broader selection of trails that would serve to distribute the load. Currently, only the most used trails are discoverable, and that is a problem until people get the others on the map so to speak.

I hear you on the trail builders seeing thier work destroyed due to too much traffic or people riding when the trail is vulnerable. I would hope the most loved trails would get thier users out to help with the maintenance but we could always use more. ( I’m guilty myself on this ) At least, sites like this are good for rallying the troops.

Shits getting serious…

corbamtb.com/news/2012/10/30/rid … nds-on-it/

Although most of this article is a rehash of the previous one the first paragraph is certainly troubling…

CORBA has learned that NPS administrators were ready and willing to temporarily close trails in reaction to the issues of increased complaints and collisions listed in the press release. However, due to the trust and reputation that has been fostered and maintained through CORBA’s advocacy efforts with NPS, trail closures were not implemented at this time. Let’s show that we are a responsible user group by slowing down and showing courtesy to our fellow trail users. It’s simple: Slow down, solve the problem.

corbamtb.com/news/2012/10/30/rid … nds-on-it/

Thankfully, our local trail issues are not as serious.

Some great points overall, especially HCHT. I know several trail builders who do not make their trails public knowledge for many reasons. It’s a shame because some of those trails are killer.

I do try to do as much trail work as I can every year. Certainly if I ride a trail and do significant damage unintentionally, I normally return to rectify it. I think if each and every mountain biker did as little as 5-10 hours per year all our trails would be awesome!!!

Another issue I’ve found is when someone drastically changes an existing trail which changes the dynamic of it. An example, putting a jump on a trail, without a viable go around, that has been designed and is used for XC/AM riding. I find It’s often newbies trying to better the scene in their own vision, and although admirable, help from an experienced trail builder is invaluable. I’ve built some shady stuff before I was shown the right techniques.