Ticks - watch for them!

I’ve been working with and playing in the valley lately and although I haven’t got any…yet, be aware there are ticks out there.

If you get one, they are very easily removed.

From CDC:

1. Use fine-tipped tweezers to grasp the tick as close to the skin’s surface as possible.
  2. Pull upward with steady, even pressure. Don’t twist or jerk the tick; this can cause the mouth-parts to break off and remain in the skin.
  3. If this happens, remove the mouth-parts with tweezers. If you are unable to remove the mouth easily with clean tweezers, leave it alone and let the skin heal.
  4. After removing the tick, thoroughly clean the area.

There is talk that lyme disease is on the rise, but so far I’ve only heard of ticks without lyme disease.

Keep in mind the bacteria that causes Lyme is only present in a few of the many populations of blacklegged ticks (aka deer ticks). The most common ticks we find are dog ticks, which DO NOT carry this bacteria. I’ve had dozens and dozens of dog ticks on me over the last few years. No blacklegged ticks at all.

Pick 'em and flick 'em!

Great point Doug. Don’t know if I would call them adorable though…

yes, ticks are out and rampant here in the cape that’s for sure. Nearly put myself off the road while driving home from camping last Friday when I caught one crawling down my arm.

hehe I deleted the adorable line, haha

I’m finding and/or pulling a tick off of me or my family almost every day. All have been dog/wood ticks. We just do a daily check before bedtime around here. The official line on Lyme is that the tick has to be attached for 24 hours before the bacteria is transmitted. I am aware of 2 people in West Hants who are going through treatment for Lyme.