Tire pressure, what are you running?

I’ve found dropping my tire pressure has actually made me faster on several sections of trail.
Im now at 22psi rear and 20psi front with a vittoria airliner installed in the back. Minion 29x2.3 front and back, 225lb rider. If I wasnt running an insert I’d definitely be higher in the back

2 Likes

If I was your weight I probably would try 20psi to start with.

1 Like

If your not getting flats all the time and the tires don’t feel squirmy you’re tire pressure isn’t too low.

2 Likes

I’m running 25 psi front and rear with 29" exo casing tires. I’m 190ish pounds with my riding kit on. If I’m riding bike park I’ll pump that up a bit. When I was racing xc I ran 30+ psi. I did a hot and dry 24 hour solo race at 35 psi with Maxxis Ikons, they rolled crazy fast at that pressure.

1 Like

Helpful. Thanks!

Thanks, everyone, for your input.

Dry
Agressor R@26.5
Assegei F @21.5

Wet
R-21.5/F-19.5

3 Likes

18Psi wild enduro 25Psi wild am. Will increase or drop psi deleting on wet or dry conditions.

1 Like

I weigh 235-240 plus pack which probably adds 10-20 lbs. On my 26’er I typically ran 35-40psi to avoid pinch flats. 40 was probably a little high as the tire would bounce off stuff a bit, but there were summers where I would pinch flat regularly, like every time the bike left the ground.

On my 27+ bike performance seems to be more sensitive to pressure. Under 13 psi the bike starts to feel squirmy and I start hitting the rim. 13-16 psi seems to work well for trail riding. I go up to 20psi for crusher dust or easy rides.

Do you find that your plus tires squirm under sideload at those pressures? That was my experience with Grid casing Specialized tires, I had to run 22-24 psi to keep them from rolling over during high speed turns

I don’t feel squirm at 15 psi or above. At 20 psi, they feel pretty hard and start to bounce off stuff rather than soak it up.

I ran two different models of plus tires with thin casings and I didn’t like either. I’m not running exo+ casings on 40mm rims and I find them night and day over the flimsier options. I also found too much pressure resulted in undamped rebound.