Trail work mcintosh run thursday night - 11 Jun 2020

I have some tools now from the good folks of mrwa and would like to put them to use this Thursday night we are currently allowed to gather in groups of ten but most practice social distance procedures. meet at the cul de sac 6.30pm and we will have a very short hike in from there. this is an unofficial event trial to see if we can do this with out any issues.

When: Thursday, 11 Jun 2020, 6:30pm.
Where: Alabaster Way Cul-de-sac

• Yes, see you there!
  • No, wish I could.
  • No, I’m broken.
  • Maybe, I’ll let you know.

0 voters

3 Likes

We are working under MRWA rules:

MRWA Trail Maintenance Policy and Procedures
Covid-19 Edition 2.0

31 May 2020

The McIntosh Run Watershed Association (MRWA) wishes to provide a safe work environment for all MRWA staff and volunteers and help contain the spread of COVID-19.

In order to continue work and maintenance on the McIntosh Run Trails, work may proceed as long as the work can be done while adhering to the Covid-19 Declaration of Emergency and current Health Protection Act Order (HPAO). Trail building and maintenance will only be done as follows:

1. Volunteers and Crew must be free from any requirement to self-isolate or self-quarantine under the current HPAO: Coronavirus (COVID-19): alerts, news and data - Government of Nova Scotia, Canada
  2. Work groups will be no larger than permitted by current HPAO.
  3. All workers must be experienced MRWA trail building volunteers or trail crew members.
  4. Workers from different households/bubbles must maintain at least the separation distance required by the current HPAO.
  5. Workers from different households/bubbles must not share unsanitized tools. Tool handles must be cleaned with 60 – 95% alcohol before sharing outside your bubble. Best practice is to not share tools at all.
  6. Workers must wear a non-medical mask when a task requires working closer than the separation distance in #4. Maintaining the required physical distance as much as possible is best practice. Follow mask advice from the Government of Canada.
  7. The work zone on an open trail must be signed at each end instructing trail users to walk through and give the workers 2 metres clearance.
  8. Workers (especially the full-time crew) are encouraged to read and follow the advice given by the Construction Safety Association of Nova Scotia: https://constructionsafetyns.ca/safe-work-practice/
2 Likes

how can I get experience? id love to help but have no experience in building or maintaining trails.

That is MRWA’s stipulation we need to live by. Just during pandemic.

I think the intent is to minimize risk of injury and need for close interaction.

2 Likes

Sorry. Them’s the rules.

1 Like

It won’t be long before things will open up.

5 Likes

If anyone arrives late, we’ll be working at the bottom of Osprey, you can meet us there.

1 Like

I Won’t make it :cry:stuck in south shore.

I bet I know exactly the spot you are working on. That is a place that needs it for sure. Thanks for doing this

Thanks guys. This spot definitely needs attention.
All the trails are getting a lot of wear - which is good, I guess!

In the past couple of days, we (the MRWA crew and I) also worked over I/O, and the rock work at the bottom of the ramp+2bridge spot on the Attic. Check it out.

6 Likes

Great to see you are back at it.

For the records… we had 4 tonight (6:30 to 9:00)
@darkmyth
@goose
@Rolls
@JeffV

(first on the list for the next group ride)

Osprey is just that much more buff now. Should be a blast.

6 Likes

We were surprised by how many people are riding it backwards.

1 Like

Backwards?

Awesome.

I think most people ride it from cul-de-sac to the Attic, which I like for the flow into Schnitzel (spelling?) and then continuing on the Attic to other trails. By “backwards” I think he means from Attic to cul-de-sac. :slight_smile:

What…up over that rock roll-down…but why…why work against gravity? It’s soo much smoother to ride it counter-clock wise from the cul-de sac to the Attic

1 Like

There is a ride-around for the big roll-down, and it works in both directions. :wink:

Because it’s there.

3 Likes

I do like going down it, but have always like it as a fast climb too.

1 Like