Trials riders?

I bought a monty 20" mod bike recently, and I just rebuilt my moment after not really riding it for 3 or 4 years.

I used to ride trials all the time years ago, and for whatever reason, I decided im going to try and get back into it full tilt this summer.

I’m not amazing at it, but If any one is interested in learning, I could certainly get someone started if they were interested.

I’m so lonely :frowning:

Haha… don’t feel to down… not sure if there are any trials riders on here but hopefully there are.
Maybe you could put on a clinic to help us mountain bikes with some pedal kick skills.

I had a Norco Evolve for a while. It was fun, but requires a lot of time. Might be a good way to have fun when the trails are too wet.

We’re building a trials area at the Wolfville bike park this summer, will be picking up a chirpy chirpy bike for testing purposes :wink:

aww yiss! I will have to come up for that!

What kind of stuff are you planning man made structures, natural terrain?

I used to do a fair amount of trials, had a dedicated bike and all. I’m only short a wheel set and a few bits to have it built up again. These days I’m more into a nice technical XC trail instead of drops to flat though.

just about any XC bike with good clearance and a few minor tweaks (especially to the brakes) is good enough for learning trials.

Trials is actually pretty useful when riding trails, I find. especially the rocky stuff, or hopping across a stream.

[quote=“dartmouthian”]just about any XC bike with good clearance and a few minor tweaks (especially to the brakes) is good enough for learning trials.
[/quote]

yeah my trials bike is an old steel 26" xc bike with rigid forks, only a 26 tooth ring and bash ring. When I started out it had cantilever brakes with scott/mathhauser brake pads and ground rims, over time i upgraded to v brakes then magura’s, I actually liked the feel of v brakes the best.

I couldn’t agree more, I’m definitely a better rider on the technical stuff because of the trials riding.

[quote=“bent6543”]

What kind of stuff are you planning man made structures, natural terrain?

I used to do a fair amount of trials, had a dedicated bike and all. I’m only short a wheel set and a few bits to have it built up again. These days I’m more into a nice technical XC trail instead of drops to flat though.[/quote]

The plan right now is to do a mix of “natural” features such as boulders and logs along side some more urban elements such as culverts, platforms, etc. Any requests? I’d like to have a few smaller items that riders can move around to customize lines to their skill level. Many trials parks use pallets for this but we’ll want to source something a bit more um… solid.

Your best bet is tractor tires. lots of them. You can get them for free usually! with a little bit of digging, there’s lots of ways to set them up.

If you havent already, you might want to consider setting up stuff to practice upping and gapping, so having stuff that either moves, stacks, or has small increments in hight/length.

I vote for giant dice, a tank and a F1 car. Oh and giant playing cards.

Don’t forget the pencils… :smiley:

In all seriousness, I might build something up to take advantage of trail-drying-time. I enjoyed learning the basics. Would be nice to get back at it! Should have kept my old XC bike…