Tube Sizing

I got a flat the other day, and now I’m looking to replace the spare tube I carry with me.
I can’t seem to find anything locally in the size I need (29x2.6) and I don’t want to pay shipping on a small inexpensive item.
I spoke with an LBS on the phone and the sales person told me that a 29x2.125 - 2.4" tube would work. I realize that’s a small difference in width and I assume tubes are built to inflate more than is listed on the box, but has anyone else heard that or had experience with using tubes that are listed as smaller than their tire?
I don’t want to end up buying a tube that will end up failing right after replacing a flat mid-ride.

• I’m still doing the rounds calling LBS’s too.
1 Like

Good time to go tubeless, you won’t go back.
If you can’t find the size you want at an LBS check MEC or Decathalon.

2 Likes

That size difference won’t be an issue at all. But, I second @Nige’s recommendation. Time to go tubeless and just carry a tube for emergencies only–at that point, it doesn’t really matter, it just has to let you finish the ride.

3 Likes

I am seriously thinking of going tubeless, my rims and tires are tubeless ready so I’m not in a bad position to make the leap.

1 Like

I actually found a good stock at my local crappy tire, i bought a 700x40 ish and they had a good pile

That size is fine, hell you could, in a pinch use a 27.5, can probably even stretch a 26”.

I’m working on a “budget” tubeless setup now. I have everything I need for $61. 79% of that is me buying good off the shelf sealant that will be good for 8 tires.

For the sake of it, let’s say I sell the remainder of the sealant to someone needing it.

The cost to me to go tubeless (2 valves, rim tape, enough sealant for two tires) I’m into this for just shy of $25.

I’m going tubeless so I can run lower pressures without the worry of pinching a tube.

1 Like

I always carry the smallest width tubes possible. They’re easier to install while the mosquitoes attack.

1 Like

You probably wont want to sell the extra sealant incase you need to add more. It does dry up overtime

1 Like

I was going to ask about that.
I’ve been doing some reading and watching videos and they say the sealant should be replaced from time to time. The time seems to vary from 2 months to a year depending on what who wrote the article. How often are people changing their sealant? Also any issues with cold temperatures?

Good to know. I figured there was a tolerance and that a smaller tube would work. Think I’ll pick up a spare (smaller) tube for now and look at going tubeless soon.

Haha it was hypothetical as an example of the cost when you think about how many uses from the bottle of sealant( more than 1)

… of course I wasn’t going to sell it.

Im running a 29x 2.6 up front. Cyclesmith said its totally fine to run a 1.95-2.4 in it when i was running tubes… switched the tubeless in January.

Sealant wise ive read every 4 months to chanfe it or top up yearly do a complete clean up of the tire and rim

Dang it!
I got myself all excited to go tubeless, priced out stems and sealant, watched videos on how to install the tires only to find out the Trail Boss I bought for 70% off on Chain Reaction is not tubeless ready. I assumed it was tubeless ready because according the WTB’s site the trail boss is. When I actually looked at the bike however I realized it’s not tubeless ready. Maybe it’s an old version of the tire - hence the discount.

I understand it is possible (but not recommended) to go tubeless with a non-tubeless tire but I don’t think I’ll risk it.

Oh well, when the tire wears out I’ll keep this in mind and maybe convert then.

1 Like

If you use a liner like Fatty Stripper and your normal amount of sealant, it should work just fine. I have a bunch of strips if you want to try it.

My experience has been that using a tire that’s not “tubeless ready” still works fine running tubeless. I’ve mounted 8-10 tires (All Maxxis though) and run them for extended periods with no issues both “ghetto” (split tube method) and using rim tape (Stan’s or Gorilla tape). YMMV

1 Like

I don’t even know if it is factor but Trek’s Bontrager sealant has an additive to prevent cold weather problems. I’ve used next to everything and never had a problem during the winter, though.

Thanks for the offer, but I think I’ll hold off for a bit.
This’ll be my first experience with tubeless setup and I’d rather not try anything too complicated starting out.
I think I’ll wait until my rear tire wears out and replace it with a tubeless ready tire and change over then.

1 Like