Found - parts for 1x11 conversion

Yeah, you’re cutting out the middle man that’s selling the product for 10x what they paid for it. I wouldn’t be shocked one bit if those Canadian companies are paying less than $5 per chainring from an Asian manufacturer.

At least Blackspire chainrings are actually made in Canada… BC to be exact.

3 Likes

Blackspire and North Shore Billet. I have owned both. But I run the Chinese ones because well, it’s a nothing part. Has no performance expectation, amongst “local” companies alibaba manufacturers provides frame sets to one, and to another that the likes of Jordan Boostmaster has represented.

If they can make a carbon frame for 400 bucks, (again locally used), I’m sure a chainring is reasonable at 5?

Thx for the headsup on One-up, they seem to be up charging foreign products. Blackspire seems to win this round.

1 Like

I always find it interesting when people think the only cost to make something is the manufacturing and materials themselves. The engineering/design, marketing, operations, sales, and transport are a significant part of every product development and its cost. Often, the actual manufacturing is the least expensive part of what goes into a product. It’s not just a hunk of metal and the CNC machine time to cut it out.

I’ve been working with global manufacturers for a decade or more, and I can tell you there’s far more to it than what you think. Thinking that profit for a company is a bad word is an incredibly Atlantic Canadian sentiment.

3 Likes

I certainly don’t mind seeing people make money, but I’m also not going to pay 50 to 100 for a chainring. I don’t give a hoot if it’s organic, GMO and cruelty free aluminum.

A few quality dropper post, bars stem, suspension etc I don’t mind paying for.

Again my original recommendation was for a cheap chainring for a cheap conversion.

Not sitting here saying boycott any brand, shop or otherwise.

If anything Atlantic Canada needs more profitable businesses, but sitting around complaining about Chinese made items while riding around on 4000 dollar hunks of aluminum or carbon, welded or layed in China or Taiwan, seems pretty contradictory. The same logic says don’t promote trek, or specialized or local businesses that build frame up bikes. The same laws govern the production and if you think that major brands aren’t cranking out profit with the best profit margins they can, aside from RnD.

How much RND does a chainring take? 10, 15 minutes on CAD.

If I was to guess over 85 percent of my bike is made there. It might even be made by Canadian brands, but its the farthest thing from Canadian that exists. And if it was made in Canada I’m doubting if I would be a mountain biker due to the financial constraints that most people have, certainly during covid. Hell even availability for that matter.

2 Likes

I didn’t mean to direct that comment to anyone in particular–just an overall thought. I always find it funny when people say that something should have been super cheap to ‘make’–that’s a very small part of it.

But, thinking that the design of a product, no matter how simple looking, is 10-15 minutes in a CAD program (operated by an engineer with decades of expertise most likely) is incredibly naive. How do you make your chainring different from all the other rings on the market? What’s the goal of your brand? How do you make a simple product standout in a sea of sameness? This takes a lot more time and expertise.

3 Likes

Considering the marketing aspect sure, performance wise I’ve owned blackspire, absolute black, north shore billet race face and lots of Chinese made rings, they all work the same. Now ovals that if a different story.

I guess it depends on if you want a premium product or one that works and is cheap. Word has it Raceface is launching a 20 dollar plain Janer and when it’s available I’ll be using it.

Sure naive, but certainly not reinventing the wheel. I do suppose making strong and lighter components for those who want to pay that premium is an engineering feat of itself.

End rant is depends on what you are after and what you personally want to spend.

Me personally, I’ll keep my one up edc, my north shore billet dropouts, and my Chinese chainring.

1 Like

Hey man, I just bought a cheap SRAM steel chainring for $20. Some things don’t need a lot of $ to work well. I get it.

More general commentary, I guess.

Anyway, back to helping the OP get set up with a 1x system!

3 Likes

Agreed my apologies if I come off harsh! This is more a discussion and not an argument for me like one I’d normally have over beers! I’m pretty open to opinions, and certainly can be wrong!!!

Yes! I do think OP should contact cycle smith or sport wheels (can’t remember which rn) as I see they have a Microshift Advant x shifter and mech in stock, and then a Shimano or sram cassette appropriate for the hub shouldn’t be hard @Gwiggy

1 Like