Weirdest Place You've Worn Spandex Contest!

Well, the judges have voted unanimously - nothing beats wearing spandex to a funeral AND a prom. Terry, come on down, you’re the next contestant on the Propeller is Right! Please send us a mailing address so we can send you the goods!

We have one coupon left for a 6 pack of delicious Propeller beer or pop. All you have to do is tell us the weirdest place you’ve worn Spandex! The winner will be chosen this Sunday the 22nd so post your stories up here quick and you may be the lucky drinker!

Under my kilt on super hot days

Oh and Face down in a river in Magog quebec. Tho not weird, I was on a bike ride at the time.

I have a couple of entries…

Siggraph Trade Shows 2004, 2005 and 2006

and…
L’Oratoire Notre-Dame-du-Mont-Saint-Joseph

I can’t win, but I’ll share the story that inspired the story.
My car is getting a new transmission installed at the local automotive repair shop here in the boonies. There are a lot of good ole boys that work there… you know manly man kind of guys.
I was out for a road ride and stopped in to see how things were progressing, not thinking much about what I was wearing, because to me and Sue and most people we associate with Spandex is normal.
As I clakked into the garage in my tight fitting kit all eyes turned to see what the hell the noise was, and almost instantly they looked away, and then they quickly looked back again.
Honestly I was getting a kick out of how uncomfortable they were with me standing there carrying on a conversation about my car. It was as if I was a car wreck and they couldn’t help but look.
It was funny stuff.

I can’t win the beer, but I’ll share the story that inspired the contest.
My car is getting a new transmission installed at the local automotive repair shop here in the boonies. There are a lot of good ole boys that work there… you know manly man kind of guys.
I was out for a road ride and stopped in to see how things were progressing, not thinking much about what I was wearing, because to me and Sue and most people we associate with Spandex is normal.
As I clakked into the garage in my tight fitting kit all eyes turned to see what the hell the noise was, and almost instantly they looked away, and then they quickly looked back again.
Honestly I was getting a kick out of how uncomfortable they were with me standing there carrying on a conversation about my car. It was as if I was a car wreck and they couldn’t help but look.
It was funny stuff.

I have two stories:

1)A group from Hub Cycle who attended Conor Scallion father’s
funeral wore spandex because we were all doing a ride immediately
afterwards in memory of Brian.

1. My youngest daughter had her prom on a night when I was leading
    a group ride from the shop. She wanted to have pictures taken of
    her and her date in the NSAC gardens in Bible Hill. While my wife
    was taking some pictures and the gardens were full of other people
    in their dresses and tuxes I stroll in after the ride with my bike
    wearing my spandex and shoes. Although my legs were covered in mud
    and a rooster tail up my backside I took some pictures of her with
    her mother. I was not allowed too close to her. Needless to say the
    daughter was quite embarassed.

Terry…there’s nothing weird about wearing spandex to Brian’s funeral…we all wore weird stuff to honor one of the weirdest guys I’ve ever known. If I recall correctly, I wore a lime green polyester shirt and shorts.

I like the story where you embarassed your daughter but I’m not sure if it was the spandex that embarassed her :slight_smile:

The only story I can come up with was wearing the total spandex bike garb full of mud to go stereo shopping at Wacky Wheatleys. I think the year was about 1994 and although folks were used to spandex back then (bad memories from the '80s), they weren’t too used to the muddy mountain bike spandex scene. The Wacky Wheatley people refused to wait on me so I left and never entered one of their stores again.