What size wheels will your next bike have?

With ever growing options for bikes, what are you looking at for your next bike?

I am undecided, I sticking to 26" for now. Maybe I’ll get a 29er in the future, who knows, or I’ll convert the Surge to a 650b. 26" for this year though.

29er for me… the benefits out weigh the cons.

probably 29", the 29er full suspension bikes I rode at the specialized demo day were insane

if i thought, i really would be doing more gravity as i got older… id look at a 650.

26" for me, but i’m not planning to buy a new bike until I wreck 3 steel hardtails and all their parts. Maybe by then I won’t be able to get 26" wheels?

[quote=“sheldonmcq”]

if i thought, i really would be doing more gravity as i got older… id look at a 650.[/quote]

I’m undecided at this point as well…

What is it about he 650 that is beneficial for downhill? Wouldn’t the tire selection be limited?

Tire selection will be increased in a short period of time like the 29er selection.

Here are some differences between the 650b and 29er as written up in MBA. I couldn’t begin to put it in better words.

650b:

Pros: The bike has a nimble feel that is way clos er to the 26er than the 29er, but it doesn’t require the rider to work as hard. Your body position always feels neutral. You can pump the 27.5er along the trail, and when the trail heads downward, it allows the rider to remain relaxed. You don’t need to attack rough sections. These wheels do a good job of staying on top of the rough stuff, and the front end goes where you want it to go.

Cons: We couldn’t come up with a ride negative. It doesn’t steer as fast as a 26er, but we never found a trail so tight that this made a difference. It didn’t roll over the rough sections as smoothly as the 29er, but again, it wasn’t a big enough difference to put the 27.5 rider off the wheel of the 29er.

29er:

Pros: The big wheels are great for descending. They smooth out nasty trail that would have you puckered on the 26er. The added confidence inspires you to remain more relaxed as the wheels float over rocky terrain. The big hoops offer the best trac tion of the bunch, both in corners and on loose climbs. This bike requires the least amount of body English to stay hooked up (going up or down). Crewers noted they remained seated longer in the 29er. Once up to speed, the bike holds momentum well—and holding momentum is what the 29er is all about.

Cons: Getting up to cruising speed takes more effort. Steep climbs or regaining speed following a momentum- zapping misstep is noticeably tougher. The only plus here is out-of-the-saddle efforts work great because the rear tire maintains traction. The large wheels don’t respond as well to pumping the trail, and lofting the wheel requires more effort. This bike doesn’t have that lively squirt of acceleration you feel on both the 26er and 27.5er when working the backside of a whoop.

I am thinking of sticking with 700’s. Though I do like some old school 27’s. Wait what sort of bikes are we talking about?

650B for me. I bought a 29er for XC this year and I’m running such large volume tires on my Reign (Maxxis Advantages 2.35") that the rolling diameter is the same as some 650B tires already. I’m sure there won’t be many 26" wheeled All-mountain/Enduro bikes available in a couple of years when I’m ready to move on from the Reign. Word is that Giant won’t even be offering a full-suspension 26er in 2014.

Possibly 26 x 1 3/8. I need something to match the 3 speed my wife’s grandmother handed down to her.

“The large wheels don’t respond as well to pumping the trail, and lofting the wheel requires more effort. This bike doesn’t have that lively squirt of acceleration you feel on both the 26er and 27.5er when working the backside of a whoop.”

Too bad this is all a lie. I love playing on mine, (29er), and I ride BMX as well, so it had better be fun! I loft the front end all the time, and pump it like mad. You get used to it the first couple rides. In the mean time, you can’t stop grinning!!!

Might be some bikes are better than others…

In all honestly I think the next bike I’m getting will have 20" or 24" wheels but thats a a trials bike not a mountain bike. Right now I’m pretty happy with the three 26" wheeled bikes I ride.

I want my next bike just to have wheels.

Honestly guys, size doesn’t matter… It’s all how you use it.

[quote=“TURPLE”]

Honestly guys, size doesn’t matter… It’s all how you use it.[/quote]

LOL