Woo hooo! Giant is getting into the 27.5 fray!

pinkbike.com/news/First-Look … Bikes.html

Yay! 650b . This is everything I want from a trail bike. Norco does a 650b but I really love Giant’s prices :slight_smile:

pretty sweet, I was reading about it this morning

I’ve watched the puppet wheel test from Bike magazine which confirms what I always believed… there is not enough difference between 26 and 650B to switch.
If you want a better ride, go big or stay home, 29 is where it’s at.
The bike companies will soon figure that out, either by dropping the 26 or the 650b’s.
Pure science I tells ya’s!!

Trek is going to have some mid-season. I’m sure every other big brand will as well. Same goes for fat bikes These days its nothing for mass-producers to say ‘oh whats this new trend? hey cho fat, make a bunch of these with this spec until we tell you to stop.’

I bet magazines love 'em.

Can it be long until Spesh gets into the fray? It is ridiculous that the big guys have no qualms selling bikes with 3 sizes of MTB wheel, yet none of them offer road bikes with 650c anymore for short people. So short roadies are on frames with stupidly designed geometries (having said that, the big 3 will also claim with a straight face that a 5’0 woman can get a good geometry on their 29ers when they probably shouldn’t be on anything bigger than a 26er). Bike manufacturers must think customers are idiots. I guess we must be, for buying their crap.

It’s our lowest common denominator society. If you build it, they will come.
Like Nascar and Country music… And Randy Bachman…

I seem to remember hearing that a certain Canadian brand will be offering a fat bike next year.

Great, just what the world needs… another standard :roll:

yah, kona has a fat bike.

pretty sure spec had a 27.5. shouldn’t be hard, giant makes their bikes.

A person would read this and assume you guys all hate bikes :slight_smile:

No need for 3 sizes. 29 is like a monster truck. 650B would make sense if 26" was dropped from the equation.

I LOVE my monster truck bike. I ride up and over stuff even gnarlier than I ever would have tried… So, bigger is usually better. Drop 26", unless it’s really small adult bikes, and juvenile bikes.

Thanks to compact frame sizing, women and short people no longer have to endure the embarrassment of 650C wheeled road bikes, or shudder 650/700C road bikes.

Emily Batty is 5’3" and does pretty good on a 29er, but its important to keep in mind that she’s racing on world cup courses, not exactly like our local trails.

The 650B doesn’t make sense for the person who already has a 26" wheeled bike or can ride a 29er.

The manufacturers are making them because they can.

[quote=“tossedsalad”]Thanks to compact frame sizing, women and short people no longer have to endure the embarrassment of 650C wheeled road bikes, or shudder 650/700C road bikes.

Emily Batty is 5’3" and does pretty good on a 29er, but its important to keep in mind that she’s racing on world cup courses, not exactly like our local trails.

The 650B doesn’t make sense for the person who already has a 26" wheeled bike or can ride a 29er.

The manufacturers are making them because they can.[/quote]

I’ll second that, and I love bikes!

I also like bikes, but I’m not rabid about it.

Love bikes, just not the people trying to reinvent the wheel… :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote=“tossedsalad”]Thanks to compact frame sizing, women and short people no longer have to endure the embarrassment of 650C wheeled road bikes, or shudder 650/700C road bikes.
[/quote]

Smart companies make their small road and tri bikes with 650C wheels. 650C wheel allow you to make correct geometry and not just a small version of a big bike.

My wife is 5’1 and she loves her 650c road bike. It is obvious that the effective top tube length is constrained by the radius of the front wheel, so all the geometrical tricks one tries to play won’t add up to anything on drop bar road bikes with extremely small frames.

Here are a few examples of the stupidity of 700c wheels on small frames, for non-racers (i.e. don’t want to have a completely flat back to reach the bars):

1. Smaller frame, traditional angles: More toe overlap. I have witnessed this myself and new riders do not like it.
  2. Increased seat post angle: Really? Obviously you will need more saddle setback which means there is zero change in the reach to the bars. This is a red herring.
  3. Extremely short stems: Within reason, sure. But whether it’s aesthetics or handling, there is a limit. Conceivably you could even reverse a 35 degree stem to get a horizontal stem with the bars behind the head tube. But hardly anyone in their right mind would do that.
  4. Extremely slack head tubes: Sub-optimal handling.

I am sure you could think of others.

Finally, I really wonder what is embarrassing about riding 650c wheels. It’s not like the 11th commandment is “Thy BSD shall be 622mm”. I am puzzled why anyone would even let another rider feel embarrassed about it. Who cares? It’s better that we encourage people to ride whatever they enjoy riding and feel comfortable on. It doesn’t matter to me if that’s a 36er or a Terry with a 24" front wheel and 700C rear. I would hope it doesn’t matter much to anyone else here, either. Love your bike and just ride! :smiley:

Yes. Correct on all points.

Ride and enjoy.

One of my favorite bikes to ride is a steel frame Peugeot road bike from 1982. 27 inch wheels. So nice. But of course it was designed to use those wheels.

So many bike companies adapt a frame of a specific geometry to fit whatever wheel is popular. A frame needs to be designed to run the right wheel size. When done correctly it should work just right.