Work Day - Nine Mile River Trail - Sunday July 12

Hi, folks. Planning a work day for Nine Mile River Trail.

We have planned to finish the rebuilding of the Hemlock Loop boardwalks this year. However, grant applications are late this year, and we are still awaiting approval; it’s likely we won’t get Trailflow scheduled for this work for several months.

In the meantime, I would like to try to get some temporary repairs done to make the boardwalks passable by scabbing together the old boards. There is also some new lumber that needs to be moved further up the trail for the future rebuilds (can be bungied to a bike and walked along - we will have bungies).

Planning to ride in starting at 9:30am, Sunday July 12. We are not fast riders, so it will probably take us an hour to get to the work site in the Hemlock Loop, so if you want to start in later, and meet us there, feel free. We will be doing Hemlock Loop clockwise (starting in from the first trail intersection, not the lake). We will have some tools, but if you want to bring tools, carpentry tools would be helpful, particularly hammers, battery-operated saws and power drills.

3 Likes

Scouted out the trail and moved some wood today. Looking forward to getting the boardwalks running again!

Feel free to come late and leave early. Will probably be at our first broken boardwalk about 10:30. Will probably work til 1:30 or 2:30. Any time you can contribute will be fantastic!

5 Likes

Forecast unfortunately calling for a few showers but work day is still on and still planning to ride in.

@Kristin, I hope you are still interested or able to come out. If not, some other time.
Jan

“Good enough “ repairs to boardwalks H6 and half of H7 today. Still one and a half broken boardwalks in Hemlock for another day. Big thanks to the volunteers who worked so hard today!
Before:

After:

Planning to do more “Good enough “ repairs to the remaining boardwalks another work day and full rebuilds later in the year.

3 Likes

A personal best for my deerfly tape today too:

10 Likes

Thank you guys for heading out there this past weekend, I had prior commitments, or I would have been there. I’ve been riding the trail slot, and feel that it’s only fair that I give back some volunteer time. Looking forward to trying out the Hemlock loop.

1 Like

@Rockhopper Where did you get the deerfly tape?

1 Like

My god they were thick this weekend. I had at least a dozen in my helmet vents at Whopper on Saturday. Unbearable.

Got the fly tape at Lee Valley. A few of us wore them while working and there were hardly any flying around or biting.
https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/shop/garden/pest-control/insects/10293-deer-fly-patches

3 Likes

Hemlock still has broken bridges so if you ride that section use caution. Also Hemlock is a rough go. Riders have nicknamed it “The Slog”. If you ride it be prepared. We haven’t put much trail tread work into Hemlock because we’ve been waiting to get the boardwalks repaired first. Once they’re done we’ll do some work on the trail.

There is a tree down just before the Beaverdam boardwalk that one must duck under. We’ll take care of that next work day.

1 Like

Thanks for the heads up! Most of my rides don’t start until 8pm once it cools down, so I haven’t had enough daylight yet to give hemlock a try. Is the tree that’s down able to be cut with a buck saw, or something that will require a chainsaw?

I think it could be done with a bucksaw.