Your commute

Soon fixing up the winter bike. Well, at least repacking the BB and soaking the chain.

Well folks, I’m just sittin’ here wondering what everybody else’s ride to work/school is like. And what you ride and wear. And how long it is. And how you feel about the MacDonald Bridge and it’s wacky bike lane entrance on the Hali side.

I’m riding an old Sears road bike, a Suteki 12, that I put city bars on, fenders and a rat trap. And some lights. 12 speeds of down tube friction shifted goodness on an old steel lugged frame. El-cheapo 27 x 1 1/4" tires with gumwalls. It’s rock solid and flies right along.

I leave Claremont Street at the bridge end of Windsor Street, turn down Young and ride to Gottigen, down to North Street, ride UNDER the bridge just to ride back up it, across the harbour, up to Victoria, down to Highfield Drive, straight to Burnside Drive, then Ilsley to Raddall, all the way to Akerley. Then I’m at work about 30 minutes later than when I left the house.

The way back is a little different. I ride off the bridge, along to Artz Street, up to Gottigen, and then back the same way.

I usually rock a chamois, Mace shorts, 1 or 2 xc jerseys and a high vis vest. And if it’s cold enough I’ll put on a polar fleece shirt/jacket thingy. But it’s warm. Almost too warm. What is everyone else wearing for gear? I plan on riding all winter as well. I have an old beater geared up for that.

I’m thinking of a more cycling specific jacket and some pants. And maye some booties to keep my footsies warm. And I’m currently riding with a backpack, but I am leaning more and more towards a pannier bag or something similar. Any comments/ideas out there?

I walk down my stairs. Pants optional.

I’ve often considered picking a fake destination in Sackville somewhere to turn the morning into somewhat of a forced commute. But the bed is so warm.

5-10 minutes long, depending on the timmy’s line up.
sometimes jeans and a sweater, sometimes proper biking apparell, weather dependant of course.
the bike depends on which one is closest to hand when i leave, 3 to choose from.
the bike lane entrance isn’t the greatest, but you’re not forced to walk a sketchy sidewalk across, anymore.
there’s times i take the long way home, ummm… leave work, blink, you’re in the middle of the woods.

5-10 minutes long, depending on the timmy’s line up.
sometimes jeans and a sweater, sometimes proper biking apparell, weather dependant of course.
the bike depends on which one is closest to hand when i leave, 3 to choose from.
the bike lane entrance isn’t the greatest, but you’re not forced to walk a sketchy sidewalk across, anymore.
there’s times i take the long way home, ummm… leave work, blink, you’re in the middle of the woods.

That’s always fun. I used to like BMXing to work in Sackville. Take all the little neighbourhood paths and jump stuff. Some fun rollers as well. A little MTBing after a long day of work is awesome. And you’re already sweaty anywho…

I walk down my stairs. Pants optional.

I’ve often considered picking a fake destination in Sackville somewhere to turn the morning into somewhat of a forced commute. But the bed is so warm.

I laughed out loud, at work, at that one. Hilarious … pants optional.

I ride my 19?? Giant Rincon to work. I leave the corner of Willett and Dunbrack, head up Willett, hang a left at Westridge? (first street on left with cross-walk as you are heading to Sobeys). I go up Westridge to the ballfield, past the soccer fields, past Halifax West, then down … what is that street called? It comes down behind Swiss Chalet. I go through the parking lot over to the other set of lights by Home Depot, along the sidewalk, up the ramp to the Bicentennial, and cross over by Costco. I ride through the parking lots and come down at the lights by Homesense and Kokomos. I hang a left, head up the hill, past Metro Storage, down the hill and hang a right into our parking lot. It takes me about 25 minutes. I’m just warmed up when I get to work and want to ride for another couple of hours. Some times I go up Lacewood or along the powerline to Lacewood on the way to work or coming home. I change it up a bit. Now that we have the rails to trails, I am thinking of leaving my place, riding down Main Avenue, or any one of the side streets off Willett, pick up the trail on Joe Howe and ride into the business park to work that way. It will be longer and no real traffic to deal with.

Aaron, so you live on Claremont. My girlfriend and her husband live on Claremont as well. Cool!

That’s neat! I like it here. I live with another bike mechanic in the building as well as another bike nut. There are usually about 9 to 12 bikes in the basement and in our apartment.

It’s neat riding to work some days. Like today. I passed some dude on a cross bike, and then hopped over a beer box. Chatted with him for a bit. And talked to another fella that has a similar route at a light. And the first day I rode from here I was tailing a navy dude down to the water and I yelled at a beligerant driver for the both of us. And today I had a wine bottle in my bottle holder. Should have drove a little wobbly just to mix it up a bit. Still riding in shorts, but today I had wooly socks on that go up to my knees!

Hehehe,yer wine bottle comment made me think of this:

Sorry - Couldn’t copy this image