2016/17 Winter Trail Conditions

Rode Lou’s and Attic in Fight trail tonight, both were perfect, minimal ice, no studs needed.

3 Likes

Planning to head over to Spider Lake sometime on Sunday for anyone keen to ride, though curious about the current trail conditions. I’ve heard mostly clear with some icy patches from a runner friend, and it should be hero-dirt aplenty with the current freeze going on. Anyone riding there on Saturday who can report back? :slight_smile:

I may be interested. I’m not sure my schedule on Sunday.

1 Like

I’ll likely be around on Sunday, might have some conditions to report before then.

1 Like

Im in around 1:30pm though. As I can’t ride on the tues.

1 Like

Cape Split: mostly good with some hard snow and patches of ice. Studs highly recommended, Saturday conditions were fine for any tire width.

5-minute YouTube video with some of the highlights, can see hero dirt, hard snow, and icy sections:

1 Like

Spider Lake:
Great conditions around Skull, Humps, Six Pack, Inner Peace, Ribbon of Love, and Replicator. Icy in spots, but definitely passable with skinny tires (studs helpful).

3 Likes

Susie Q/Lake Loop are great again. The loose snow that was there on the Tuesday night ride is hard packed again.

Green Mile is mint too. The snow is solid and smooth as silk, not a single foot print or boot hole.

6 Likes

Many parts of Fight trail that are exposed have a couple inches of snow on them, but there’s no ice under it, so it’s pretty safe. Most of the trails are ice free, with the exception of a few of the descents. The climb up from the lake has very deep crusty snow with lots of holes in it, but it only lasts a few hundred metres. Overall, it’s about 90% great.

4 Likes

Rode Spider late last night- superb conditions for skinny with studs. Frozen hard, packed down and just a blast.

3 Likes

Just got in from riding Spider. Ribbon and Skull are in awesome shape. Snow/ground is nice and solid still. Replicator and Humps got a lot of sun all day today I think. I’d stay away from anything on that side of the double track. It was all pretty soft/really mucky at around 5:30pm.

1 Like

Rode Irishman’s Road today. Mostly good conditions. Mix of ice, frozen boot-bombed snow, bare ground. Tough boot-bombed frozen snow riding from Gurney’s Up to the Big Hill on Archery Run, Frog Leg(1) past Frog Leg(2), and most of Frog Leg(2). Middle, Roller Derby and Deer Leg were mostly good.

5 Likes

Any tree trouble?

1 Like

I’m guessing after that storm that the Trail Conditions thread is likely to be reset. :slight_smile: I decided not to shovel my driveway last night to see what would be left in the morning (purely for science, of course, not because I’m lazy): just some soggy bits from the plow and soggy lumps where snow fell off the car. So I’m guessing no new accumulation on the trails, and with the additional “warm” weather and sun, that things are very soggy everywhere right now within HRM. Might have to make a road trip to NB to take in all their new snow!

Anyone have updates on conditions in the Annapolis Valley?

Pretty soggy in my driveway. Same with wet, soft snow.

Trainer time?

Rest day XD

1 Like

I went for a walk in the woods around Sandy Lake today. Lots of water and wetness around. Hopefully it will freeze up tonight but otherwise it will be a mess in the woods for the next bit.

2 Likes

What’s good to ride this weekend? Looking at early morning rides

Spider should be good, rode there late last night, it was freezing up nicely. I am
Planning a sat morning ride before it warms up.

Nine Mile this morning was excellent. Could be real good tonight too!

1 Like