Bike Sizing

If you are squarely between sizes is it better to go smaller or larger frame size.

• Smaller Is More Flickable
  • Larger Because My Knees

0 voters

At about 6ā€™-3", thatā€™s not a problem Iā€™ve encountered. (Iā€™ll take the XL, please.) I guess Iā€™d go with smaller since even XL can be a bit tighter than I might like, but it doesnā€™t bother me once Iā€™m riding.

1 Like

Im 5ā€™4" Im supposed to be 15.5 sizing on mtb, but i choose medium 17 on my Scott Genius. I find it more comfortable, just me :nerd_face:. also long uncut handlebars and slammed stem give me more control. My dropper is slammed too.

1 Like

Option C - one that fits

The ā€˜newā€™ fad of long top tube works for lanky long arms like me.

1 Like

Itā€™s all about reach length for me. Assuming stand over and stack height is acceptable on either size. I know what range works for my riding style and majority of trails I ride. I tend to be on the ā€œflickableā€ side of riding so 5ā€™8"(173cm), 420 to 440mm reach with a 35mm stem is where I like to be.

2 Likes

Depends, do you ride like Danny MacAskill, or Aaron Gwin?

4 Likes

At 5ā€™10" I seem to fall right in the middle between a medium and a large. Iā€™ve always rode a medium and it feels right to me.

When I was bike shopping for my Trance, I took out a medium and a large. The large just felt too big to me, maybe I would have grown accustomed to it like I did with the wide handle bars, but when I took the medium out it just felt right.

Someone the same height as me but with longer arms and legs may feel more at home on a large.

1 Like

your knees aremore important than flickable. Also if they donā€™t have a size that is super comfortable, then Iā€™d look at a different brand and find one that is. Get knees and flickable.

1 Like

Iā€™m between medium and Large myself. I choose large to get the extra reach on the toptube.

For me itā€™s not just the seat tube height, itā€™s the reach as well. It is worth trying different brands though for sure. A slight change in top tube length or angle on the headtube can mean the difference between tolerating and loving your bike.

1 Like

i donā€™t believe that for my ability there is any difference between a medium and large once the contact points are adjusted

I love watching a good chainless run, friggin crazy

2 Likes