Snowshoe recommendations?

I’m considering buying a set of snowshoes. Currently I have the big old military aluminum style. (overkill, unless I take my rucksack and 50 cal.)

Any recommendations for snowshoes?

What snowshoes do you use?

I have a set of Faber mountain master snowshoes that I’ve had for abut 8 years now and they’ve been bomb proof. Their a bit pricy but will last for ages even under heavy and reckless use. IE: jumping off cliffs with them.

Garneau has some new models that use a BOA style harness that also look promising and have a lifetime warranty.

If you can spend the cash on a higher end snowshoe you shouldn’t need to replace them any time in the next decade. My faber’s and some other shoes like the higher end Garneau’s use 7000’s series aluminum just like a nice bike frame. Cheeper models often use 6000 series and would be less durable because of it. I’d also recommend getting a show with steel crampons and not aluminium ones as they will ware down much much faster.

I bought the Outbound Neve 30 from Atmosphere… happy so far although I don’t have a lot of time on them.

I think mine where around $60 but that was a big discount from retail. Imo, buy something inexpensive but functional to see if you enjoy the sport then you can always upgrade when your first pair need replacing.

Either way, get a pair! lol

Sue and I both have MSR Denali’s. They are getting up there in age but are rebuildable if needed.
I have destroyed pairs of Yakimas and Garneaus in the past, due to wear and tear and prolonged use.

They are like a bike, just get some and get outside!!

My own shoes are a poor example… Old wooden beavertails made by the Chestnut Canoe Company. They should be wall hangers, but I love them! Now my wife, however, I got her some fancier ones from GV. Steel crampons, heel steppers, sick ano finish. She likes them. But ya can’t glissade on hardpack with crampons! Makes climbing much better, though. Go brand name, mid range, I would say. Try it out, but like a bike, the cheapest could leave a bad taste in your mouth and turn you off of tramping.

Tubbs.

I think it was two years ago I rented some snowshoes from MEC to give it a try, looks like they still do it according to their site. At the time they used MSR Denali’s, not sure if that is still the case. $12 for the first day, $8 for the next, or pick them up Thursday after 3pm and it appears they are $20 for the whole weekend. Great way to try it out for quite cheap before you decide if you want to buy your own.

Do you guys use ski poles while snowshoeing?

Fyi, I picked up a set of Tubbs Vertex 25 for $85 from thier flyer special. Regular $200. They seem to work well.

They had one set left when I left. They weren’t marked as on sale, but flyer said different. :slight_smile:

[quote=“JeffV”]Fyi, I picked up a set of Tubbs Vertex 25 for $85 from thier flyer special. Regular $200. They seem to work well.

They had one set left when I left. They weren’t marked as on sale, but flyer said different. :-)[/quote]

Where from?

NVM, found it… but they were sold out.

check Costco. I got a pair of higher end Fabers for $80 last year.

Sorry, I got them at Atmosphere, (sport check) Halifax Shopping Centre.