Another intro thread & bike suggestion

Hey, all. I have some similar questions to the other intro thread but I didn’t want to hijack that one.

I’ve been into road cycling for a long time but I wanted to get back into mountain biking. I haven’t been on trails since I was a kid. The other intro thread hints that i’d probably want full suspension around here, exactly how miserable would I be on a hard tail? I have quite a few road plans this year that I don’t want to eat too much of money from. But I don’t want to end up getting hooked and upgrading right away either :slight_smile:

Also, are the weekly ride posts new member friendly? I don’t know many folks in the mountain biking scene here.

I am located on the peninsula if that changes anything!

Cheers!

1 Like

Welcome, @Ben!

Yes the weekly rides are open to everyone. Be sure to check difficulty for the ride and make sure you have required kit: lights, studded tires maybe.

Plenty of people ride hard tails and it is a recommended progression if you are not sure what you want in a full suspension.

Most people on the Tuesday night ride are riding full suspension but there are some people who can do amazing things on a hard tail.

On a side note, to me the biggest thing to look for in a starter bike is hydro disc brakes.

2 Likes

Welcome indeed!

Anytime you want to check out the trails in the valley (fantastic trails!) I’m happy to show you the way!

The trails are varied from beginner to advanced. There are weekly rides hosted by Valley Stove and Cycle as well!

A hard tail is fine for most of the trails in NS!

3 Likes

Hi Ben, welcome! Yes the weekly rides are definitely new member friendly…a great way to meet like-minded folks and discover all the trails we have around Halifax. Most of us have full sus trail bikes, but ride what you’ve got, we don’t discriminate.

3 Likes

Hello Ben :slight_smile:

When I move to the city almost two years ago I was riding a old xc hard tail and was doing good. A few months later I bought a full suspension and road that for a bit under a year and just recently moved back to a hard tail(mind you this one is a fat bike) but doing so hasn’t stopped me or really even slowed me down.

Like others have said a hard tail is just fine for almost anything around and, in my personal experience, I think a full suspension is a better investment once you have a good grasp on riding a hard tail and are beginning to want to push your boundaries.

I personally think a hard tail with plus sized tires could be a really good option for getting something that you won’t feel the need to upgrade right away and cost. Also can give you some more riding varietie in the winter as a bonus.

1 Like