Anti Semitic Graffiti at Lakeside

Hi All,

We hiked the power lines today and found some anti Semitic graffiti on the rocks on the trail. My understanding is that there has been a resurgence of this lately. I’ve reported it/sent a photo of it to the ED of the Atlantic Jewish Counsel and I’m going to take my cues from her as to if I report it to the police or just go cover it up tomorrow. We didn’t go very far today. The graffiti is obviously stencilled and someone(s) hiked over 1km to put it there, my guess is there is likely more (seems like an odd spot to tag it once and leave).

If you stumble across any more in the future would you mind letting me know? Or document it and keep a note on the exact location so it can be reported to the AJC? Thanks in advance.

I’m fairly certain it’s not the gross work of anyone on this forum, but if it is, it’s despicable. In the future please use your hobby of spray painting for good rather than this unnecessary racist defacing of trail. You also owe an apology to the the Jewish community.

4 Likes

I’m down to go cover up any of these that get reported. Zero tolerance for that BS.

4 Likes

Me too - I’m friends with the AJC’s executive director so I’m hopeful she’s going to tell me go spray paint something beautiful on it tomorrow during my run. I’ve never done graffiti before so kinda excited to go live of the edge and get rid of this one! haha

7 Likes

Ugh. That’s all I can say at this point. And wtf.

3 Likes

Gross… whoever did this is slime.

3 Likes

Did you get a response?

Yup - The kids and I are going to go cover it up with some abstract art (because I’m a terrible artist & they’re toddlers so abstract is all we’ve got) as soon as it’s dry enough to actually work. I hoped we’d have gotten it done already but schedules/weather haven’t been on our side.

1 Like

Unless the AJC has a good rationale not to, I think it’s a good idea to report it the to the police and send them photo documentation. It may not cause anything to happen for this incident, but if multiple similar “tags” appear elsewhere-it could be helpful.

3 Likes

Yeah, sorry that wasn’t clear. The AJC has photos and a map of the location more or less (circle on my strava route). I asked if they wanted me to report it to the police, but they’ve elected to do it themselves. I think they have ongoing relationships with the department as a result of this kind of thing so getting it kept together in the same file I think is a big deal for combating it.

1 Like

I didn’t post photos here cause that didn’t seem necessary, but if the cover up turns out either amazing or hilarious, then I’ll share. Having with me, 3 dogs + 2 toddlers should equal a fabulous dynamic for this project. lol

5 Likes