Beaver Bank / Sackville to Dartmouth Crossing?

I went out and bought a real paper map of HRM and found out the road that goes from the quary down to Burnside, is called … wait for it…

Fraggle Rock Road.

Hiya,

How would I do this? Bedford , up dartmouth road and down magazine hill thru burnside?

How would I go about getting back? Going up mag hill, and crossing to get into bedford sounds alot like suicide :slight_smile:

Jeff.

That does sound like a scary prospect, and I think it’s illegal to ride on the Magazine Hill road. I can’t think of another route, though. It must exist!

Aaron suggested going up mag hill, then hucking the bike down over the edge onto rocky lake drive, and taking that down into bedford… Its a short stint on the illegal part, but i’ve done worse things :slight_smile:

Okay, on google maps I think I found something interesting. No idea of terrain…

Find Glendale in Beaverbank and follow it accross the 102, it goes thru waht looks like a giant quarry thing, and then comes down to an exit off windmill, that is only a little bit ‘up’ mag hill.

May explore that come spring.

If you’re riding a mountain bike, I believe that some of the old Burnside trail system might connect you up through there. Might require a little clearing since the development of Dartmouth crossing, but maybe not.

Okay, on google maps I think I found something interesting. No idea of terrain…

Find Glendale in Beaverbank and follow it accross the 102, it goes thru waht looks like a giant quarry thing, and then comes down to an exit off windmill, that is only a little bit ‘up’ mag hill.

May explore that come spring.
glendale - rockeylake rd- municipal quarry- dnd fire rd- wham you’re at the bottom of the magazine hill. note: if or when you cruise the quarry keep in mind they do blasting until 6:00 pm, plus the easiest way through is clockwise around quarry if your coming from the sackville side of things. hope this helps.

It helps a great deal, I’ve been looking at this exact route on google maps.

A few questions:

• when do they start blasting each day? 6am?
  • what is the terrain like ? Mtn bikes only, or would a touring bike make it ? :slight_smile:
  • do they give you any hassle if you bike on the land, or if they see you biking on the land?
  • why is the sky red?

Thanks!

I’d tackle it this way:
Bedford- Rocky Lake Rd-Waverley Rd-Jaybee St (in Dartmouth) into Shubie Park- take the sweet overpass in Shubie Park directly into D’mouth Crossing.

A lovely quiet ride on roads that are used to seeing cyclists.

The overpass from Shubie to the Crossing makes that section remarkably short. I live on Waverley Rd near Breeze/Jaybee and can ride to the Crossing in 4-5 minutes.

Good luck.

It helps a great deal, I’ve been looking at this exact route on google maps.

A few questions:

• when do they start blasting each day? 6am?
  • what is the terrain like ? Mtn bikes only, or would a touring bike make it ? :slight_smile:
  • do they give you any hassle if you bike on the land, or if they see you biking on the land?
  • why is the sky red?

Thanks!
not sure when they start blasting, as to the terrain, the dnd road is lumpy pavement which turns to crushed gravel and as you get near the top, close to the quarry property, you’ll get some larger (up to fist sized) rocks and alders are reclaiming the road way. once you start going around the quarry it changes back to crushed gravel. i’ve never been hassled, but i’ve never gone through while people been working. i used more as a loop that linked up with other trails around the basin. the sky is red because the end is coming soon. (lol)