Best type of chain lube for NS? Suggestions

I find the same thing with MucOff Wet. I’ve never seen lube gunk up a chain as badly as that stuff. I clean my chain with a rag after every ride and re-lube before each ride and it was still a mess. That same process with Phil’s or Finish Line results in a well-running chain, but MucOff is crap IMO.

I’ve been a longtime fan of tri-flow year round. like franks hot sauce, I put that sh*t on everything.
I should probably move away from PTFE, though. I’ve never been a fan of any of the so called wet-conditions lubes as I find they just gunk up my drivetrain more, unless I’m super diligent about very thoroughly cleaning my drivetrain.
A couple of years ago I rolled into a bike store on a road trip looking to pick up some Tri-Flow. The owner was in the midst of a move/product turnover and didn’t have any in stock so he gave me a couple of sample bottles of Squirt lube (props to Matt at Highland Bikes!). I really liked it-used it up and promptly forgot about it as I couldn’t find any locally. Thanks for reminding me about it! Is there any other local shops that carry it besides MEC?

2 Likes

I’ve heard traditionally, It’s been smelt oil for dry conditions, Seal blubber for wet.

1 Like

I’ve been using Prolink, it’s good in the wet and muddy but does pick up “gunk” in the dry, dusty season. I’m just realizing now that it’s not biodegradable, so I’ll be switching to Squirt when this bottle is done.

This spring I bought some WPL Wet and it’s terrible! Picks up an incredible amount of “gunk” and it definitely did not spray off as per the description.

2 Likes

who carries it locally?

1 Like

MEC

C3 wet or muc off wet is basically prop fouler. Never seen so much shit on my jockey wheels ever

I can honestly say that the WPL chain lube is the worst product I have ever used. That being said I frequently use their fork boost on my seals and its amazing. Also, their suspension fluid is know to be be on par with the best. Not a slam on the company, it just is what it is. And I am fully onboard with Bio friendly products.

Wet lube, all season long. Clean and degrease freq.
Change my chain every 50 hours.

3 Likes

Happy to see this thread get so much interest, thought I was the only weirdo that agonized over things like, what the best chain lube is Zero friction cycling has done testing of most of the lubes out there https://zerofrictioncycling.com.au/lubetesting/ You have to page through the friction wear test results at the bottom (page 2 and 3 show more gravel/mtb/cx relevant condition testing). They used to show the data for the chain wear in a simpler way with bar graphs but now seem to be more showing cost to run per 10,000kms based on the lube you use, your components and riding conditions. They also show a comparison of how long different chains last etc.

I’m sitting on a couple cases of it LOL.

1 Like

Been getting along great with the WD40 dry lube.

I’ve had similar experiences as others with the MucOff Wet… just a mess! The MucOff Dry wasn’t any better, more often than not I would hear the chain drying out by the end of a long ride.

Maybe everyone knows this but dry lube is supposed to be applied at least a few hours before you ride. If you don’t do that, it won’t last as long.

Also, you’re supposed to wipe off excess lube (of any type) with a dry cloth. That helps with gunk buildup.

4 Likes

what method did you use to degrease your chain before using that?

That’s too bad to hear about the WPL chain lube, especially since I have some coming. I’ve used both the wet and dry and didn’t mind them, but I’m also terrible at remembering to lube my chain and tend to only lube it when it starts squeaking haha. Forkboost is great product and more people need to be aware of that, but all I will say is that if you don’t pay attention and grab forkboost instead of lube and put it on your chain you will need a parts washer to get your chain clean again. I learned a valuable lesson that day :joy:

I have researched their fork oil and it is top notch from what I can find. I will be switching over to using it other than for the Fox teflon infused oil as they don’t have a direct replacement for that. Their multi-purpose grease also seems good so far and they claim it is a direct replacement for slickoleum, but I will do some trial runs on my own gear before I commit to that. I may now regret ordering a case of wet lube and not a case of grease or their tubeless sealant to try.

@Margareefisher I give new chains a bath in WD40 to completely remove the sticky factory grease. Rinse and dry thoroughly then I use Squirt as directed.

I’ve been using Squirt for as long as MEC has been stocking it (at least as far as I can remember). I just use as directed when I think it needs it.

Never had an issue on the fatbike but one thing to watch for is that it can’t be used if it freezes in the bottle. Learned that the hard way.

1 Like

Cool, I’ll give it a shot