Bike repair training/course?

Does anyone know of a good bike repair technician course or training that could setup a person to get a job at at bike repair shop?

3 Likes

Cyclesmith used offer that, but only during the quieter winter months. If they still do and you can wait a year there’s that. Volunteering at Bike Again is also an option for picking up some skills.

1 Like

I know Sportwheels had been looking to hire another bike mechanic, perhaps they would be willing to train you.

I took the Professional Bicycle Mechanic and Wheel Building courses at Winterborne Bicycle Institute in Guelph http://www.winterbornebikes.com/, and Level 1 Bicycle Fitting through Bikefit Canada https://www.bcbikefit.com/about-bc-bike-fit/education/.

Honestly though, if you want to make enough money to eat and pay rent its better to explore other lines of work.

7 Likes

Dude, it’s all about the sweet discounts.

4 Likes

I think Roger at Halifax cycle does it one weekend a month or he use to

The Park Tools website is also a great resource for learning a lot of the basic stuff.

4 Likes

Thats true. I did get a Fox 36 for cost plus 10% at the last shop i worked at.

1 Like

Or go old school and get the BIG BLUE BOOK OF BICYCLE REPAIR (BBB-4). I find having a book on your workbench is easier to use than a phone that keeps on locking…

1 Like

I have setup a couple programs over the years that are still running so I might be able to direct you to a few. It comes down to a few things, your age, how much you want to learn and what you want to do with it.

There are various programs around Canada and the US. Some are based on youth outreach to give work still or short week warriors classes or multi month long ones for people looking to be professional techs.

What level of learning do you want and are you willing to travel?.. when that’s allowed.

Good deal, but yeah, its good to remind people that the staff deal doesn’t extent to mortgages, car payments, medical supplies, or your kid’s education plan.

2 Likes

The fork tasted horrible too.

1 Like

I did the Cyclesmith overhaul course with Ed many years ago. It was great. You would do an almost full overhaul of your own bike (no suspension) while learning how to do it. We did wheel truing, hub overhaul, headset, drivetrain removal, cleaning, and tuning. I don’t recall that we did bottom bracket - we might have, because I learned how to remove square-taper cranks somewhere… If there’s a shop that would do that again, it would be a great opportunity to learn skills and get your bike ready for spring at the same time.

3 Likes