Bike Setup Tips

Some great tips here. The using fingernail clippers for the final cut on zip ties eliminates sharp edges that can cut you when cleaning, working on, or falling on your bike!

8 Likes

This thread could be good.

-Things that keep me going, and I have picked up over the years.

-Show up on time, or 10 mins prior to a ride. If you need 25 mins to dress and cream up, adjust timings.
-Over-inflate tires and de pressurize to correct PSI before ride
-Always Check Shock/Fork pressure prior to ride.

These tips allow for your bike to consistently feel the same every ride.

-Show up with enough spare kit to be self sufficient and know how to use your tools.

-x2 on the torque settings for all main pivots.

-turn your ringer off

Cheers

10 Likes

Jared Graves posted a tip years ago that I have used ever since with great success.

When straightening handlebars don’t line up the stem and tire. Look down over the bars and line the back side of the handlebars up with the front side of the fork crown. Makes for a straight stem/ bars every time. And if it looks off when you look at the stem/ tire you may have a wheel that is dished wrong, tire not seated properly, etc.

9 Likes

GOLD STAR right there.

3 Likes

Pretty sure I posted this before on here:
To keep cockpit cables neat and from rattling together use a small ziptie and a piece of pneumatic tubing.

8 Likes

Nail clippers? Go buy an actual pair of flush cutting side cutters. Cheap ones are less than $20 and Knipex are less than $50. Lots more uses than just cable ties, and even the cheap ones will last for years if not abused.

3 Likes

I already have nail clippers.

3 Likes

Awesome, I’ll remember not to bother helping in the future.

1 Like

I have a pair of cutters. Worthwhile investment. They get used regularly for cutting shifter and brake housing and cables… and the occasional zip tie.

1 Like

I trim the ends of my zip ties with an xacto knife so they are perfectly flush with the head of the zip tie. Works well.

3 Likes

I might oil my chain but I definitely check the tire pressure with a quick squeeze.

4 Likes

Zip ties are so 2021. Its all about AXS and Internal routing.

4 Likes

My scissors do the job just fine, never a sharp edge.

And My biggest pet peeves:

“ Show up on time, or 10 mins prior to a ride. If you need 25 mins to dress and cream up, adjust timings.
-Over-inflate tires and de pressurize to correct PSI before ride”

I show up with my bike ready to be saddled. All I gotta do is put shoes on and my helmet.

And I keep a pump with me to offer those people that are ill prepared as a means to speeding things up.

2 Likes

Lolz. I mean, I’m ok with people fussing over their bikes, I was crazy about it for years, but man, busting out the toenail clippers to get things tidy? I just snip it with the side cutters and roll it so any excess is tucked out of the way. Jeff’s xacto knife deal sound pretty slick, though.

Don’t forget to solder those cable ends people! Cable crimps reek of newb.

3 Likes

If you run out of Finish Line Frame Polish, some lemon scent Pledge will work in a pinch.

Speaking of which, muddy race this weekend? Spray your frame and drivetrain with Cooking Spray Products | PAM people (who I don’t know, probably Zapata Espinoza) have been suggesting this since “back in the day”. Wrap your discs in Saran Wrap first, though.

I too think this thread would be a great place to share tips and tricks gained through experience and learn from others, however, there should be tacit acknowledgement that there is more than one way to skin a cat. Curb the ElitistJerk attitude.

1 Like

this one has come in handy for me for stubborn slow tubeless leaks

1 Like

Chill, dude. I’d hardly call that post an elitist attitude. More like a reality check.

1 Like

Sounded like get side cutters or GTFO. If you have already have a tool that will do the job, then why go out of your way to get something that you may not need.If it’s sharp and makes the cut, what does it matter what tool it is?

Rotation of the handle bar and the brakes shifter for optimal comfort anr to cut down on numbness in your hands. You gotta play around with it a bit to optimize

2 Likes