Bottom Bracket Help

Hi everyone, I’m having some issues fitting a new bottom bracket to a new frame.
I have an On-One Inbred and I am trying to fit the bottom bracket that came with my Shimano SLX cranks. As far as I know it is the Shimano XT SM-BB70 - 68, 73mm bottom bracket. The frame takes a 68mm, English threaded, bottom bracket. Are they compatible?

Here’s the frame:
on-one.co.uk/i/q/FROOVDO126/ … al_dropout
And the crankset/bb:
chainreactioncycles.com/Mode … elID=28019

Thanks

What are the issues that you are having?

I was under the impression it would fit. After taking it to a shop I was told it was the wrong bottom bracket type and I’d need to buy a new bb as the one I had was a Standard thread and I’d need an English thread. I didn’t know there was a difference, I guess I’d figured there was a standard bb type and a Shimano XT bb would fit my new frame. I’d prefer not to have to buy a new bb so I was looking for some insight on whether or not the one I have will fit, or whether I’ll need a new one.

I mean my frame takes a 68mm bottom bracket, and I have a 68, 73mm bb so shouldn’t they fit?

Have you tried to install it yourself?
From what I can tell (little disclaimer, I am a bit in the bag at the moment) it should work.

Threaded (English/BSA and Italian)

The threaded bottom bracket has been around for many years and is the most common type. The width of the shell is 68mm (73mm on mountain bikes) and is threaded either English (1.37" x 24 TPI) or Italian (M36 x 24 TPI). Most bikes are English threaded unless it is an Italian bike (Colnago, Pinarello, etc.) in which case it is likely Italian threaded.

I haven’t tried it yet. I was just going to have the shop put it in because I have never done a bottom bracket before. I’ll see if they can try it again on Saturday. I just wanted some other opinions before I shelled out the money for a new bb. Everything I’m reading indicates it should fit. Thanks!!

Try a different shop!

yeah before you bitch the threads and end up costing yourself more money than a new bb woud cost get a second opinion from an other shop.

+1 but from what I’ve read it should work as well.

Just remember there is a left, and a right. If your BB shell is currently empty, it shouldn’t be hard to check it for compatibility. Most BB’s that do either 68/73mm just use a spacer to make up the difference. You don’t have an e-type front derailleur, do you? That uses the BB cup on the drive side to hold the derailleur on the bike. Just want to eliminate any unknowns…

I’d let you know for free if you brought it in the shop. I work in Bedford, if that helps.

[quote=“ceebs6”]I was under the impression it would fit. After taking it to a shop I was told it was the wrong bottom bracket type and I’d need to buy a new bb as the one I had was a Standard thread and I’d need an English thread. I didn’t know there was a difference, I guess I’d figured there was a standard bb type and a Shimano XT bb would fit my new frame. I’d prefer not to have to buy a new bb so I was looking for some insight on whether or not the one I have will fit, or whether I’ll need a new one.

I mean my frame takes a 68mm bottom bracket, and I have a 68, 73mm bb so shouldn’t they fit?[/quote]

English is standard on most any threaded frame, other than Italian, and some older Swiss bikes were proprietary.

[quote=“Rally_Kia”]Just remember there is a left, and a right. If your BB shell is currently empty, it shouldn’t be hard to check it for compatibility. Most BB’s that do either 68/73mm just use a spacer to make up the difference. You don’t have an e-type front derailleur, do you? That uses the BB cup on the drive side to hold the derailleur on the bike. Just want to eliminate any unknowns…

I’d let you know for free if you brought it in the shop. I work in Bedford, if that helps.[/quote]

The shell is empty, both frame and bottom bracket are brand new and it’s a standard front derailleur. I’m starting to think, from reading forum posts about the frame that the shell may have to be faced and the threads should be chased. Is this pretty standard stuff for installing a bottom bracket?

Thanks for the help. If I can’t get this straightened out tomorrow I may stop by.

Possible, but unlikely. Hope you can get it installed soon.

Bottom brackets these days are pretty straight forward, grease the threads and thread it in put on the cranks and tighten the bolts, you’re done. But you do need the right tools to do the job. In general you shouldn’t need to chase and face the BB as long as they’re clean, i.e. no paint, but a real mechanic snob might argue otherwise. From what I see in this thread it should work just fine.

Here’s what Shimano has to say about the whole deal on installation. PDF file http://bike.shimano.com/media/techdocs/content/cycle/SI/SLX/SI_0062A_003/SI-0062A-003-ENG_v1_m56577569830680375.pdf

Thanks for the help everyone. The bb went in the frame just fine and with some help the bike is now all built up. Went for a quick ride today and it felt really good. Here’s a quick pic:

Sweet looking ride. Glad you got it figured out.

Yes, very nice ride.