Calling All Fat Bikers

So I have commited to saving my pennies and by the end of November I will have
$1500 - $1800 to spend on a Fat Bike. I have been googling like a madman and have seen some bikes from the big brands (Norco, Kona, Trek, etc) and more obscure brands (Moose for example) available online. I’m just looking for some practical advice of the do’s and don’ts when buying a fat bike. I’m not against used, all things being equal, but I would insist on riding any used bike before buying it. That pretty much rules out Pink Bike and the like. @riderx if you still had your Norco Bigfoot for sale that would be a great place to have started, in my limited knowledge anyway.

I’m a capable rider with lots of riding experience. I ride 27.5 x 2.4 now in all weather and conditions. I love a good, cold snowride so this will be a snow bike and maybe once in a blue moon, perhaps a trail ride in the snowless seasons for something different.

Help a brother out. Pass on your wisdom and advice or maybe point me in the right direction at least

I’m selling mine but size is small felt dd70 . @IanM_MTB has a rocky -50 size medium. I’m guessing you might be a large size?

1 Like
2 Likes

@muddy Now is the time to buy a fattie. People think that they are only fun in the snow . . . but they are so wrong. With full suspension mtb and road bikes taking over the LBS the fatties need to move. My LBS have crazy wicked deals on fatbikes. My recommendation:

1x drivetrain
Hydraulic brakes
197mm rear, meaning it will run 5" tires
Front suspension is the biggie. Not really needed if only riding snow. If riding dirt, you can still get by without suspension. Buying suspension up front will save you a few bucks. I’n not sure if you will get suspension for $1800 . . . but you will get a pretty decent bike for that coin this time of year.

Oh . . . if buying form LBS . . . negotiate a deal on studded tires. You will need them when the ice comes and they generally get harder to find and more $$ when the white stuff falls.

2 Likes

I don’t have one to sell personally at the moment, but I will say I loved the geometry of my rocky mountain over my Norco. Yes, I sell Rocky and I have some New and demos on sale, but as is with any bike, test ride a few and get a feel for them.

If you wanted to do an extended test (not a parking lot test) I can make it happen with a one of our rental/demo bikes.

3 Likes

+1for the rocky mtn blizzard - I really like the geometry

1 Like

After May 11, I can lend you my Rocky Mountain Blizzard -50 to try out. 1x10 drivetrain, Bluto front shock, and studded tubeless tires for that additional weight savings. It’s a Medium frame, and I love it, but I want to get a Large frame instead.

$1800 is a little lower than I’d like to sell it for, but if you’re interested then we can chat and figure something out. :slight_smile:

(After May 11 because my buddy Blair has it until he goes into hospital for some serious treatment, and that’s his admission date.)

1 Like

To fully enjoy your bike in winter you need studded tires and they ain’t cheap so you should factor that into the price. As with any bike the best way to figure out what suits you is to ride different makes. Take advantage of the rentals the local shops have.

3 Likes

How tall are you?

Hey everyone thanks for the advice.

I was leaning towards:

1x
studded tires
Hydros
no suspension (affordability)

So this is a all good

@rossw I am 5’9", maybe and inch shorter. I haven’t measured myself in years and I am sure that I am shrinking :slight_smile: I think a medium in most bikes is what would fit

1 Like

We have a medium demo in stock I could arrange to bring it to the city for you to try.

I’d say a lot of the big things have been mentioned, I’ll just echo @FatbikeRepublic and mention two things that I would take into consideration if I ever buy a different fat bike.

197mm x 12mm rear end (can fit the biggest current tires and is the current ‘standard’)
150mm x 15mm front hub (one less thing to change if you decide to go to suspension down the road)

Other than cranks, wheels, tires and fork, everything else is normal mountain bike parts and could be upgraded down the road if you choose.

1 Like

I have a Raleigh Rumson here that is on clearance if your interested.

You guys are all tempting me. I’ll pm when ready to go

1 Like

Yea . . . test tide the fattie before you buy. Preferably off-pavement. My first fattie the LBS told me to take the bike for the weekend and bring it back dirty. It was the first bike they ever had in the shop. I ended up buying it. I also test rode a Salsa from another shop, but it did not feel right.

2 Likes

Our Raleigh was part of our Rental Fleet. It is in great shape and if you wanna come to take it for an extended off road trial. By all means. Stop on by :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Muddy’s cherry has officially been popped. Just waiting to hear his first impression on the fatness :skull_and_crossbones:

3 Likes

Well it was only a few minutes but I can see that a fat bike is definitely in my future. Rolled with ease in very tight technical single track. Relatively light for such a beast and felt like it was a full on squish rather than rigid. It didn’t fit me very well but that is just a matter of test riding a few

5 Likes

Let us know when you go out riding again with a fattie. Would love to join in with my fatskie bike.

I have a Rocky Mountain Blizzard -10 that I really like. Hydro disc brakes (Deore) and 1x11 speed (Deore).

I do recommend, that if it is snow you’re using it for, go for the 5 inch tires, like on the Blizzard -10. For studs, I recommend staying away from the studded Dillingers ($$$) or the screw-in type studs ($1 each and you’d need about 200 per tire).

Get the Kold Kutter screw in studs (http://koldkutter.com/) 3/8" length. This means that you’d need a very high lugged tire and the Maxxis Minnion, that comes on the Blizzard -10, can take the 3/8’ Kold Kutters without going through the tire. I have 60 studs each side of the tire. See attached photo.

You can also go tubeless using this system. http://fattystripper.com
/

3 Likes