Coyote Issue at MRWA?

Bear + cub = scary. I lived in Northern BC for a decade and ran into a fair amount of bears. I’ve run into 4 since living back in NS. I’ve only had 2 stop and really sniff me out before bolting. I have run into so many coyotes in BC but none of these bigger ones here. They are probably watching us ride by every day. Fight Trail looks like a great place for them to have dens and the like. Lots of little caves in the rocks. I often think back to what happened recently in Cape Breton. That was scary and resulted in bad things for coyotes. Wildlife is just that. We ride MTB because we like being in the woods, where they live. Domestic dogs are far more an issue as far as I’m concerned.
And moose! Never trust an ungulate!

2 Likes

Its the wilderness and there are wild animals.
Biggest thing to be concerned about are small dogs off leash that roam far from the owners.

4 Likes

The emergency whistles didn’t come from MRWA, at least as far as I know. I think it may have been residents in consultation with DLF and/or HSAR.

I agree - The BAM approach is the proper response.

A lot of people are new to area (both trail users and new residents) and many may not have encountered coyotes or other wild animals before. As with tick issues, education goes a long way to easing people’s anxiety and finding a way to get along with a natural resident - the coyote (even though they are fairly recent newcomers to NS).

https://novascotia.ca/natr/wildlife/living-with-wildlife/be-coyote-smart.asp

5 Likes

It’s odd they were just left there without any signage or info. Didn’t seem like something MRWA would do.

1 Like

Agreed. Might have been some explanation on the GB facebook group – I dunno.

Can’t imagine Dr Strang would approve of these.

5 Likes

“Care to share my whistle?”

10 Likes

Where were you riding?

By Tattamagouche. I’m like (to my wife) “is that a cub coming towards us? Momma must be off doing her thing, lets roll. Two seconds later. Oh hi big momma”

1 Like

There’s been a lot of sightings in the area. Denmark specifically.

Yikes!!

Friends saw one in that area last weekend too - probably the same bear, though I don’t think they saw a cub. The one close to my parents farm in Lr Harmony near Truro has a track record of attacking farm animals so I’m playing it extra safe right now.

Yeah we heard about the sightings by the mill but this was quite a bit from there so I’m guessing different momma. They’re everywhere up here, I’ve had to stop and let them cross the road when I’m biking to work.