Cracked Chainstay

Will look into a replacement first, but if that doesn’t pan out… anyone know a good welder?

3 Likes

Boo! That sucks!

I wouldn’t suggest getting that welded. The metal will be weaker around it without getting it heat treated afterwards and it will just end up cracking again.

Agreed with Jetter. You will lose the metals temper with welding it. It can be done but the cost wouldn’t likely be worth it.

Well damn! Quite the clean break… A weld could get you by temporarily but the aluminum will definitely be more malleable. I used to heat aluminum pipe with a torch and quench it with water In order to bend it without ripping.

Are you the original owner? If so I’d ask about warrant options. I’ve had good luck with getting these warranted in the past.

However… stock issues these days might try and bite ya. I’d look for a welder if you can find one. Or… I know one by the name of JB Weld ;). Not kidding, at one point in time I had multiple frames and wheels on the go held together with the stuff. I still have a wheel in service that’s JB Welded back to life, works great is you take the time to prep the materials. If that is broke clean apart, I’d clean the inside out and see if I could stuff some plate inside (basically as an aluminum dowel) and then JB weld (or your epoxy of choice) it together from both the inside and outside. Done right it’d be pretty darn sturdy.

7 Likes

MEC has been great to deal with in the past and has been able to get replacement parts for me, direct from Ghost.

I’ve previously cracked a rocker arm, seatstay and the other side of the chainstay, and all were replaced no questions asked (long after the warranty had expired). So no worries on that front. It’s just a matter of whether or not they have it in stock.

6 Likes

If I had a tig welder I could do it. But yeah it would make it more brittle since most frames go through a heat treat

@Rolls I may know a guy that might do it. He does aluminum welding for guys that race motorcycles

2 Likes

Aluminum warps too when its welded. Thats a tricky one. There are some good welding shops in burnside though who might be able to do it…

So MEC tracked down the replacement part direct from Ghost, and they’re shipping it out today. No questions asked.

Can’t say enough good things about the service I’ve gotten from both these companies over the years.

26 Likes

Glad to hear it! Given the issues you’ve had with the rear end of that bike though, it sounds like there’s some serious design or manufacturing flaws with their stays.

3 Likes

Indeed. Luckily they aren’t trying to dodge the issues. Rather they are well aware, and have a good stash of replacement parts on hand to dole out as needed.

6 Likes

I broke a seatstay on my 2013 Ghost. I would have expected them to have solved those issues on the newer models.

I totally agree with you that MEC (and Ghost indirectly) is super easy to deal with on these types of issues. Hope your bike is up and running quickly!

This thread really cracked me up. Glad to hear you didn’t get Ghosted.

6 Likes

I see what you did there
. Your a punny guy

1 Like