Current Trail Conditions

We’ve got oodles of snow here in the valley, going to need to hold off on my trail grooming until this afternoon or first thing tomorrow morning.

Sorry.

4 Likes

Tried to groom at The Gorge today. Didn’t get more than 100ft in the woods. Snow is way too dry and fluffy. Did manage to cut out one fallen tree before I left to it was not a total loss.

Leave the bike at home and go skiing or snowshoeing for a few days. Looks like some better grooming conditions coming early next week.

3 Likes

Thanks to our friends at Bike Truro, the Railyard is good to go for fatbikes with low tire pressure. Studs not required. No skinnies though. No skate skiing either.
Check them out on Facebook for details on groomed trails.

9 Likes

Gorge has had some good snowshoe action over the weekend and should be able to be groomed mid week now.

A few of us hiked around this afternoon and cut out a bunch of windfall while we were there, should be easier going for everyone now. We didn’t get the whole trail system but made good headway.

6 Likes

Just snowshoed my usual 9k loop at Whooper. All wind fall has been cut and cleared.

There has been limited traffic at the far end of FlipSide into Suzie Lake loop but the close stuff is a lot more broken in.

Fatty friendly for sure, be careful on pressure however some rocks are still gonna bite. Skinnies definitely but will be a little more of a workout in the areas that had more snow.

I think it should set up pretty good. Try it out tonight or tomorrow. Happy trails.

12 Likes

Only had time to snowshoe the front loop at 9 mile but it seemed packed enough to be useable for fat bikes

10 Likes

Thanks man! Might be good on wed after a couple warm days and the freeze tuesday night.

1 Like

Shubie canal is solid. Until tomorrow afternoon at least :pensive:

13 Likes

Bowater: Boreal Line, Shoreline (to The Curse), and The Curse are snow packed with some ice and exposed ground. Everything else is snow covered. E-Z Money is boot bombed and soft.

4 Likes

Took a trip to the South Shore today for work, was surprised to see that Tantallon/Bowater area definitely has more snow than Dartmouth.

1 Like

The elevation out there goes from sea level at the bay to ~ 30m at the highway rather quickly. That lift cools the warm moist air coming off of the bay and creates a lot of precipitation this time of year. Kind of like our own little coastal range micro climate.

Anyone know what nine mile is like at present?

Was wondering also!

Yeah for sure but I think in this instance the South shore just got more snow in that last storm. Snow levels continued to build farther south I went. Mahone Bay/L’burg area looks like it would have great riding this wknd when the snow freezes up.

1 Like

Do you know if any of the Mahone Bay trails are packed in?

The folks at Sweet Ride said that people were riding it since the storm but I’d probably give Al @ Sweet Ride a call or drop in for chat for the local know-and-go.

1 Like

Did some grooming yesterday at Irishmans. The snow was kinda slushy still from the rains but I’m hoping it will be pretty firm today. Mainly stuck to the double track as the single track needed some snowshoeing to take care of some drifts before I can safely take the groomer in. Aiming to do another lap this weekend.

Also, did a pass at The Gorge. Hit all the double track, Flying Squirrel, the connectors, Curious Gorge, a short bit of the Stadium and a few other areas. Again, will need another pass but made some good progress. Snow conditions were better there, less slushy than Windsor. Should be pretty good going even in spots that didn’t get groomer time as it has been snowshoed a fair bit.

5 Likes

Posted this morning.

Looking at the forecast should be similar conditions for the next 3 or 4 days.

7 Likes

Would like to get there tmmrw- I assume there’s enough snow and ice to justify studs? (Don’t wanna take the stud if it’s 80% bare dirt and rock)

1 Like

@streetgang Studs a must. It’s all snow or ice covered. Heavier on the ice side.

3 Likes