Dirt jumper

Hi I’m looking at getting a dirt jumper but just figured before I get something new it might be a good idea to see if anyone has one that they would be looking to sell or if anyone has recommendations on what bikes I should look into/ if you have one just some input on it would be appreciated.
I would need a size s/m depending of how it fits and 26” not 24”

1 Like

Check out the P series from Specialized and the Trek Ticket. Lots of other options too. There’s a Kona Shonky on Kijiji and and a few older P series bikes.

2 Likes

There’s a couple on kijiji right now. Avoid the Rocky Mountain Reaper though, the owner sprayed the entire bike down with a heavy coating of rust inhibitor so the brakes and fork seals are ruined.

3 Likes

Why would someone do that… okay I’m looking at the kona right now is seems good but I’d have to ride it first

Honestly, that one might be a little overpriced in my opinion (then again I’m not in the market). A nice build overall though.

1 Like

Yah imma see if they’d drop the price some but like it’s way nicer then anything new for the price. Hope pro4 hubs chromag bar hope headset and manitou circus comp

I picked up an older Transition Trail-or-Park a couple winters ago on Kijiji and it’s a blast.
My advice: Unless you’re looking to boost some wild tricks, I wouldn’t worry too much about frame weight - but I highly recommend getting a 100% chromoly steel frame for sure.
100mm travel fork that hasn’t had the life beat out of it (marzocchi forks can be a bit on the heavier side but also can take an absolute pounding) and the rest will fall into place!
Happy hunting and good luck!

2 Likes

I think I recall a trek ticket frame at The Bike Pedaler this past fall, would be a sweet frame to build up

1 Like

That orange kona shonky with the purple wheel set is a sweet build but @gtrguy is right, Overpriced. I wouldn’t pay anywheres near that much for it regardless of how like new or well maintained it is, then again I might be overlooking something but just my opinion

1 Like

Yeah I’ll look to see if they still have the frame but it’s probably going to be cheaper to buy a full bike. Also I have to see if they would sell it cheaper but if not then I’m not paying that much. How much do u think would be a good price

Hard to say honestly, someone else might gauge a better estimate. But… Looks like kona only sells the shonky as a frame only, new at $700. So depending on condition of the frame on this one, and factoring the build into things, I’d say like $850-1000 if everything was all sound and smooth. The Hope hubs are fairly pricey, if that’s what is on this bike - I couldn’t really confirm from the pics.

If anyone else wants to chime in, heres the bike in question for reference

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-bmx-bike/dartmouth/kona-shonky/1489421836

1 Like

The Shonky tends to hold its value. The frame is well built and it’s not released every year. I haven’t seen this bike up close, but if you could get that bike for $1000 and it doesn’t have any mechanical issues that would be a fair price.

2 Likes

Looks like it says Shonky AL on the frame, so i would say it’s the 2016 model - and it’s aluminum. Might be something to take into consideration depending how much thought you want to put into aluminum vs steel. Definitely still a sick bike regardless

Yeah it’s a 2017 frame apparently but I’m not sure if it’s aluminum or steel. Any idea what it is?

Yeah I’d definitely ride it and make sure it’s in good working order

It’s definitely aluminium

1 Like

Yup.

And Circus Comp not expert…

All used now too so can’t necessarily count on any warranty coverage. Cool bike for sure nonetheless.

1 Like

Okay thanks

I know the Shonky well. We built the wheel set for it and installed the fork and headset. I haven’t seen the owner of that bike in a few years now. I know he took good care of it. It had Hope hubs and headset but that was back in 2016.
If anyone is talking to the owner of the bike, Matt, please pass along to him that I would like to speak with him.
Thanks
–Marc

3 Likes

Uh oh Matt’s in trouble.