DJ Parks Current Conditions

I did build them, so you could call me the “trail builder” as to why I have strong opinions I’m voicing

1 Like

well if that is the case, it is my bad and have at it

The city hires professional trail builders to do the work, shoreline dirt works. I have great respect for what they do. Leave the bigger changes to them, and request changes that you want to see happen. Just digging and then throwing the dirt down the side of a hill where it can’t be used again isn’t helping anyone. Could have At least put the dirt to use shaping or put back in dirt piles vs wasting it.

Everyone won’t be happy with the options, but I and many others would prefer to have the dirt jumps, and not torn down, and the cost of letting a few kids ride the big jumps in exchange for the city keeping the jumps seems like a reasonable price to pay even if it’s not ideal. And as you said it’s one of the few DJ parks in good shape so it would be a shame to loose it. Even if the city doesn’t tear it down, it doesn’t help create a good image of cycling in Nova Scotia which in the long run is what helps make new trails and parks. So sucking up to the city’s rules benefits all of us long term even if you don’t agree. If the city doesn’t want gaps, then so be it, it’s better to have a table top then no jumps at all.

I hope everyone here keeps it respectful and understand where both sides are coming from.

3 Likes

I used to work for “shoreline” a bit and know Adam and am friends with Devon, Logan, etc whoever he hires well and grew up with them riding these places.

I’ve had the say on what goes on at Gb since I started it with friends, I know this sounds cocky but I don’t know how else to word it. I literally created that whole line from scratch.

When people tell me I need to leave it to “professionals” its gets to me quite a bit.

It’s a slight gap on a set up jump, with a small side jump beside it someone made you can even roll if you want, it’s nothing dramatic.

And I don’t know what you’re talking about with dirt down the side of a hill? there’s dirt everywhere.

Jees I’d hate for people to go to BC where there’s progression and and no drama over even gaps.

1 Like

Keep it respectful. Professionals keep all skill levels in mind when building community parks and trails. And you are friends with the builders so you should know that they have had to defend GB from the city many times. Just because you have been riding there for a long time doesn’t change how the city views these jumps or other trails in general. If you have been involved in the community over the years you know how hard it is to get approval for new trails and parks, even if this is just one gap, it’s about every person that rides, and every trail in the city. If you want to help make NS see biking as a investment like BC does maybe get involved, there are many great people on here that put tons of time into creating a lasting relationship with the city and promoting the sport.

I normally try to avoid these kinds of conversations, and I hope that anyone reading this does not think negatively of me. I am not trying to start stuff up. Thank you to all the trail builders out there.

1 Like

I’m not there to make big, med, small lines for everyone, nor get paid to.

The jumps were basically as is then turned into a city park and got the gaps filled.

There are other small lines at the park anyone is welcome to go fix up and ride, which I never ever ever see. So I’m sick of people screwing with the one thing I ride and constantly maintain.

I constantly talk to kids I see at the park about jumps they can ride and how to fix things up.

I’m not trying to argue either but this is quite a soft spot with me.

Note, the people on this site are not the ones that will be reporting the jumps, it’s the ones that you don’t see using the facility often, and don’t understand how the park operates or they may not know that it is built by riders, for riders. New people will automatically think the city is responsible for whatever happens on those jumps. Keep that in mind, you don’t need to defend GB from the people on ECMTB, it’s the people you don’t know about that are most likely to report.

1 Like

Ya I get that, so it’s a constant struggle, It’s not like a PSA can be sent out to every mom and dad out there that brings there kids there.

However the sign could be erected again that got damaged and removed.

Could have some well written rules and guidelines on it.

Dirt jumps parks are built on rider maintenance

4 Likes

I couldn’t agree more, a updated sign and also some signage for each line could be useful. I think it’s unfortunate that people tore it out. I love that there are people that take pride in maintaining our trails, GB is in the best shape it has been in years. And more and more people are using it. It’s great to see. I think GB has played a big part in a lot of people’s passion for cycling, I know it has for me.

1 Like

It’s where I learned everything I know basically

1 Like

I think a lot of people can say the same, it’s a great facility. I remember when I first went there with my dad, now years later I race, and own bikes I never thought I would ever have, and it’s all because of that park. That’s why I think it’s important to make it accessible, who knows, one kid riding there could end up being a pro slope style athlete, you never know.

I do think that gap should be filled a little, it’s kinda pointless now because the people that shouldn’t be riding that line can just roll it and go around, so all the gap does it make the risk higher for the people that can already clear it. The point of the gap was to stop people, and now that it doesn’t do that, filling it in doesn’t harm anyone imo.

So much this. People who don’t know any better don’t know any better you know? Having some signage to educate people would be a great step.

4 Likes

Couldn’t have said it any better. I don’t really know who to go to, would that be something the city would do? Or could a private company also?

I’m in the sign business. I do all the signage for the MRWA crew. You see our work at the Fight Trail all the time

I would gladly produce some signs for you. Professional long lasting signage

3 Likes

That would be solid. I think the only issue could be vandalism, idk if there is any way to avoid damage, but it seems people live messing with stuff at GB. That would be great! Gets the ball rolling too.