Dog lovers, beware of Coyote Snares

The purpose of this post was to inform the public of the dangers of animal traps. The ones that I found were legal, but still dangerous to our pals. From what I have heard from many legal trappers I have talked to about this issue, there are many even more dangerous illegal traps to be found out there.
I am going to close this post to further comments as I feel that the original message may be lost if this discussion continues here.
Please, feel free to continue this discussion in another topic page.

Hey folks.
I had the boys out for a hike in the woods not far from the house today and came across a group of Coyote snares.
These snares are designed to kill and will do so as is evident by the attached photos.
Caution grapic photo attached***

I suggest that you purchase a good set of bolt cutters to take with you if you and your four legged buddies plan to do any woods recon from now until March.
These are set at perfect height for snaring your pals!!

I also found this great PDF from the NS Dept of Natural Resources.

Thanks Troy, a grim reminder.

I don’t like the idea of hunting, but I appreciate the culture and understand how someone can do it. I can’t appreciate trapping. I find it cowardly and cruel.

This is the dark nessesary side of conservation. After the last time of having coyotes try to seperate me from my dog its good to see some success in trapping them. Nice to see mature posts too. Thanks for the heads up, its not a bad idea to be reminded the wild is just that. Traps and snares will always have the registered trapper’s “Wildlife Resources Card” number located on a metal tag attached to the cable, along with contact info possibly. If you feel they are illegal or just in a poor location most trappers wouldnt mind being politely informed. Regulations are located at gov.ns.ca/natr/hunt/regulati … ngRegs.pdf just a reminded for anyone who might not realize- it is a criminal offence to interfere with a legally set trap. All action should be taken by calling DNR. There are laws about setting snares near reconized rec trails as well.
Cheers

Why is it necessary and what exactly is being conserved?

I have no intentions of starting arguments here. Conservation is a broad area of thought, not just a form of the word conserve. If you are unaware of current practices google it or contact DNR. Animal populations are not self-sustaining. The necessity of trapping/hunting to control populations and encourage healthy respect/human-fear in wildlife isnt debatable. And thats not a cuddly husky in that picture. I respect your adoration of wildlife and nature, and I ask that others educate themselves to current (time proven and mainstream) conservation ideoligies and techniques before blindly condeming them. No one will ask you to get blood on your hands. If you think trapping and snaring is all about aggressive aimless killing pick up a copy of Fur-Fish-Game magazine and you may be suprised just how the industry works. When the true goal is supporting woodlands, nature, wildlife, and just getting outside bikers might be suprised how many friends theyve got if we dont pigeon hole ourselve in. Cheers i rewrote that 3 times to try and make it sound like im not trying to be an arsepick. Web-text tends to loose context and what it written doesnt alway read like what is said.

I’ve done my research and the notion is highly debatable. I appreciate the respect though and it is a tangent, lets agree to disagree and allow this thread to serve as a caution for those of us with riding buddies with four legs.

I am not against trapping per se, however I do believe that the only traps that should be legal are those which don’t harm the animal in any way. Any trap designed to injure or kill the animal is a danger for pets, small children, and in some cases, even adults. Trapping should consist of catching the animal live and unharmed so that the trapper can insure that (a) death is as humane as possible and (b) the animal trapped is indeed the intended critter.

I’ll add that they need to be checked frequently. I could live with that.

Yes, that goes without saying.

Ive trapped dozens of animals on my propery and agicultral property near me with my livetraps. They work wonders and have saved the lives of all the skunks, cats (ferral and kitty) and groundhogs that indulged on the peanut butter in the trap. Wont work for coyotes however, and most traps are set in water or trees.

As for the coyote in the picture- these things are in the woods in record numbers and arn’t going away. As well as minding your animals and children in wilderness areas where traps may be (not that either should ever be unsupervised in the woods) these critters are a far greater risk to your little guys than furharvesters.
I spend mostly all of my rec time out in the woods wether it be biking, hiking, camping, fishing, or hunting. I have had several encouters in the woods, the last of which was a small coyote trying to lead Harley into the waiting pack of bigger animals. They had no fear of me or my boy (80 lbs of growling pissed-off
boxer shouldnt be taken lightly) and only left once the chainsaw was run full-throttle, even then showing no fear. Another time after taking 5 rainbows from a remote hilltop creek we got challange vocalizations and occasionial run-bys for 30mins during the 7k hike back to the trailhead.

No one should be scared from enjoying the wilderness nor do I intend the spread the b-s fear mongering about eastern coyotes as the media has. Everyone should enjoy the woods, just be prepared about it. Those with pets should consider dog or bear spray when in the woods. Same size as a large tube of lipstick. And its non-lethal for those who may be concerned.

Now i gotta go enjoy the woods, later

I always have an axe on my hip. It’s less than lethal till it’s needed!

Seriously, I’m not being a jerk here… we’ve covered the notion that we’ve got different ideals. But if you love the woods so much, but are afraid of what’s out there maybe places like Shubie park are more suitable. Taking the wild out of the wilderness seems counterintuitive to me.

I think a big part of the reason that we even have issues with wildlife is exactly that - we ARE taking the wild out of the wilderness. I too spend a lot of time in the woods (remote areas as well as trails) and I am constantly amazed that I can bushwhack for 2 hours into the middle of nowhere and just when I think I’m in a truly remote location I see a Tim Horton’s cup or an ATV tread or a tin can riddled with bullet holes.

One of the main problems here is that people do NOT respect the wild. Why don’t kids learn in school how to use a map and compass, how to wander through the woods without disturbing the natural beauty, how to prepare for a safe journey through areas where wildlife may be prevalent? We are guests in the woods but we see it as our right to cut them down, build more and more ugly cookie cutter houses and force the animals to seek other accomodations. We have created the “coyote problem”. Why are we culling the general coyote population - the fact that people are setting traps out in the woods to catch them indicates that we no longer believe they even have a right to be where they belong! Deal with the problem animals and maybe deal with the issues that CAUSE them to be problem animals. That seems much more sensible to me.

09man,
Either you read no other post than your own or you are getting so wrapped up in your moot point that you insist on arguing it long after it was dropped. Thus far you have villianized legal trappers as “cowardly and cruel” , been sacastically confrontational about my first post, then dismissed my second post when I calmly and rationally explained my first post, finally ending by spining my words from post 3 into something i never came near saying and telling me since im scared I should stay in the saftey of city parks. All without meaning to be a jerk? How is that working out?

All of my posts have been friendly, respectful, and attepted to give insight in areas people
obviously have no real-world knowledge of. People tend to freak out when they see a trap like there is a new found danger when in reality those traps have always been there, at least for the last 10,000 years. They are however safer today than ever. It is fair to say that there is no real danger to anyones children or pets, and certianly not an adult. If anyone has a “real” question about such things i am more than willing to help if i can.

bikergrl,
your passion for the outdoors and wilderness bleeds red from your posts. We both want the best for the woods we enjoy. I dont agree (some or at all)with some of your posts; such as where eastern coyotes belong but i understand where you get the ideas. Talking in open forums about such things respectfully can make everyone better informed.

I think the original point was to mya in the woods.
cheers

The purpose of this post was to inform the public of the dangers of animal traps. The ones that I found were legal, but still dangerous to our pals. From what I have heard from many legal trappers I have talked to about this issue, there are many even more dangerous illegal traps to be found out there.
I am going to close this post to further comments as I feel that the origional message may be lost if this discussion continues here.
Please, feel free to continue this discussion in another topic page.