Dropper posts in the cold

Does anyone have issues with their dropper post not working in the cold? Suggestions?

Cold weather shouldn’t really effect the performance of a healthy dropper post.

It’s likely a sign that it needs to be serviced i.e. taken apart, cleaned, re-greased and possibly replace the air cartridge (or bleed the lines if it’s hydraulic).

2 Likes

No. I’ve only had issues with rain which was fixed by pulling the collar of the post, cleaning it and then reapplying a thick ring of slickoleum or similar (also called SRAM butter and slick honey). I’m not sure what would cause a cold weather issue.

What post is it?

it’s a RockShox reverb. It started acting up as it got colder. Being slower to come up during cooler days riding. Now if it goes down in the cold it doesn’t come up again but works fine when I bring it back into a warm garage.

Probably got air/moisture in the line and needs to be bled

Complete opposite of the SRAM Guides I used to have that locked up in the sun!

2 Likes

Possibly the oil getting thicker in cold weather? I know I generally need less damping in my suspension when the weather gets cold and the oil gets more viscous. My sag seems to increase a bit as well and I always attribute that to the colder temps lowering the air pressure in the shock slightly.

2 Likes

Same issue with my reverb hydraulic dropper post before as well as Cane creeks double barrel rear air shocks, usually needed service or rebuilt. All bottoming out when it hits -minus temps. Never had issues with front fork fox or rockshox brand though at cold temps.

Reverbs suck in the cold. Period. Never had a single problem with my OneUp or Crank Bros posts in cold weather, but nothing but problems with my Reverbs. Of course, the damn thing never worked in warm weather either. You could bleed it, replace it, heap praise on it and shower it with gifts and nothing would make that post worth a damn.

Some people get lucky with a solid Reverb, but many have insane issues. I’ll never own one again, although I’d consider an AXS Reverb if I could justify the cost. There’s a reason that literally no one else makes a fully hydraulic dropper post. It’s an utter garbage design and fit for the pit.

Sell it to some unsuspecting schmo and get a OneUp.

2 Likes

I replaced the hydraulic lever on my Reverb with the Wolftooth Sustain cable actuation kit and it works ok in the cold now.

I second the motion to get a OneUp dropper. I picked up a 210mm dropper for my Middlechild and it’s worked flawlessly, even in yesterdays cold temperatures. I haven’t tested it in sub-zero yet, but I have every confidence it will continue to work just fine.

1 Like

Anyone know where to find a 31.6 dropper in HRM? Would want a 180-210mm if possible as my reverb crapped out.

– Check the air pressure at target ambient temperature (ie NS winter temp, not a warm shop), adjust as needed. A dropper’s return is driven by air pressure, and pV=nRT. T isn’t varying a huge amount from summer to winter (in deg K), but it can make the difference.

– Check the collar for tightness, and remove, clean, and lube. Re @David_NZ advice.

– Bleed the system. Not difficult at all, but can also be done quickly by a shop.

EDIT: here is a guide to adjusting air pressure. Borrow my shock pump if you don’t have one!

5 Likes

Its not every day that you see the ideal gas law on a mountain bike forum.

4 Likes

Thanks Dr. Plug, I’ll give it a try!

2 Likes

I used to have a sealed gas piston type, like the one used to prop your hatchback. It seemed like I replaced that piston every 2 winters.

I’ve got a reverbe. Have great success with it, but did find it needed a top up in the winter months to keep it movin.

1 Like

LOL :grinning: