E-MTB Thoughts and Recommendations

Over the past several years I’ve gone from being opposed to E-MTBs, to being on the fence, to now seriously considering one. Injuries including bilateral hip impingement, osteoarthritis in both hips and knees, IT band syndrome, bursitis, and a herniated disc in my lumbar spine have kept me off of my enduro bike for close to a year. I’m strongly considering selling my enduro bike and buying an e-bike so I can ride trails again.

E-MTB riders what are thoughts on buying an E-MTB? What should I look for? How many charge cycles is your battery good for? Was the E-MTB worth the extra money?

Thanks in advance.

7 Likes

Although you and I are very different types of riders and would look to an e-bike for different reasons, I can almost guarantee you would not regret your decision to buy one.
Mine was absolutely worth the money. It was not much more than the average bike a lot of guys ride, and definitely less than those riding high end carbon bikes.
It’s an orbea rise, and the absolute perfect bike for me. It has allowed me to keep up and ride with much stronger riders, it has doubled the distance I’m able to ride and allowed me to build skills I simply couldn’t on a regular bike. I usually get 3 two hour rides on a charge, at least.
It’s only a matter of time before they are going to be the new norm, in my opinion.

If an ebike keeps you riding when chronic injuries threaten your ability to keep doing this fabulous sport, to me, it’s not even a question.

7 Likes

If an ebike will get you on the trails doing the riding you like, you’d be crazy not to IMO.

The second I have issues riding a normal MTB like I want to, I’ll have an ebike without even a 2nd thought.

5 Likes

@timber has one up for sale on FB

2 Likes

Thanks! Any questions or interest let me know. They’re a great weapon to get you on the trail more

1 Like

I have seen more Ebikes this season then any other. If I could afford to have one in my quiver I would 100% have one.

So many options as well.

Do it.

2 Likes

The Rise is a nice bike.

Thanks for the heads up

That’s a solid price. I’m not sure if it will fit me. How tall are you?

6’ but it fits more like a medium

1 Like

My vote goes with an Alpine Trail E, the pricing is hard to beat for what you get.

1 Like

Living half my time in NS and Calgary we have around 40% of people on the Calgary rides with e-bikes (mainly TrekExe and Orbea Rise)… best quote I can give you is ‘I wouldn’t be able to come on this ride without an ebike’… it’s usually 600m+ of climbing up to 2200m on old school trails so I think lighter e-bikes will be in many of the riders future.

FYI Orbea rise 2022 models are on sale right now on their website and through many dealers…

N

4 Likes

If it was me, and I was not in a rush, I’d wait till the Pinion E1.12 was available here (2025 I think?). Less unsprung weight + a gearbox + better anti-squat seems promising.

2 Likes

I’m drawn to the Fuel EXe. I love the technology of the motor and it’s near silence.The bike has great adjustability. Set it up steep and quick for riding around Halifax, or slacken it out and even run it MX style for Keppoch, Wentworth and the parks in NB. You don’t need a lot of assistance so a mid power trail bike might be ideal. The new Santa Cruz Heckler SL looks like a nice mid power bike too. Price vs value will be fun to evaluate. Sounds like it’s spreadsheet time!

5 Likes

I took the Trek and Fuel exe for test rides yesterday. The Rail is long and heavy, but it’s an absolute rocket and it has a huge battery. The Fuel feels very much like a trail bike, the weight of the motor and battery isn’t really that noticeable. It doesn’t have as much power or the battery life the Rail, but it feels a lot closer to my current bike. I’m also looking at the Orbea Rise and RM Instinct Powerplay.

6 Likes

My wife @CyclingGirl has a (2019?) Specialized Turbo Levo. She lets me ride it when I’m out doing trailwork, or the occasional fun ride when she’s not out with me.

She absolutely loves it. After a hard work day at the end of the trail system, the ride back to the trailhead is a joy, not an at-the-end-of-your-physical-limits ordeal. It allows her to keep up with me on rides (except for some technical stuff), and now I chase her up hills, rather than wait for her to catch up at the top. It was relatively expensive, but for her totally worth every penny.

I’ve ridden it on a couple group rides, and I’m often the slowest rider off the back on my non-emtb Stumpjumper, but the Levo allowed me to hang with the group.

For trail work, it’s awesome. I carry tools, gear, and sometimes rocks and gravel in my backpack barrel, and it helps a lot to move stuff.

When I’m out solo, coming back from trail work, I have overspeeded our trail. On many of our trails not designed to be ridden at speed, you need to restrain your enthusiasm and not crash into someone around a corner.

The Levo has three levels of power assist - Econ, Trail, and Turbo. I’m hardly ever out of Econ when I ride it. Sometimes I’ll go to Trail coming up the Big Hill at Nine Mile if I’m tired after a work day, or maybe going through the rooty slog that is the Hemlock Cathedral loop. The only time I think I ever switched to Turbo was climbing up the hill to the outhouse at Irishman’s Trail.

We typically only ride for a couple of hours. The Levo only drops 3-4 battery gauge bars of 10 in that time.

I test rode a Fuel emtb, but only a parking lot ride, and the small hill in the parking lot at Dartmouth Cyclesmith. The Fuel is quieter than the Levo. The power application was different - maybe less smooth than the Levo? I think the Fuel is a lower-power emtb, more equivalent to a Levo SL, than @CyclingGirl 's full power Levo. Most people I’ve read on the Levo FB groups prefer the full power Levo to the SL.

4 Likes

Hi Craig, I just bought an e-bike also and love it. I went to the Hub in Truro. They had quite a selection. They let me try the bikes in Victoria Park, which really made the difference for me. It is hard to tell in a parking lot how you like an e-bike. You need to get up some uphill trails to really find out what bike suits you best.

2 Likes

I went with a Trek Rail 7. Now the mods begin.

11 Likes