Evil Birch

How was the rest of the trail? Any ice/snow in there?

Still a few sections with lots of snow and ice. The bridge on the back loop is also in really bad shape.

1 Like

Security guard at the main gate to the gravel pit today. Denied entry. Seems to be a spring thing.

Shitty

bummer.

Iā€™ve hear they are near the end of the supply there so maybe one day nobody is going to be there to stop anybody.

5 Likes

same line as this ?

Looking to hit this lineā€¦

1 Like

It doesnā€™t really live up to itā€™s hype in my opinion. Thereā€™s a couple of hucks and some fun little bits but itā€™s not sustained downhill by any means, lots of tricky climbing in both directions, I often donā€™t bother with the effort of riding a couple of sections and just walk. Itā€™s very grown over now, can hardly see your front wheel on the trail in some spots and bar banging the bushes most of the time.

Itā€™s a fun trail, but still plenty of sections that I walk as well. Definitely some tricky bits in both directions. Iā€™m not surprised that itā€™s overgrown since itā€™s seen much less use with security stopping people from going in there.

I was looking @Cpolegatto videos in trail fork, seemed pretty intense but also not continuous. I guess its too much work to ride the line like i suspected

Yeah itā€™s a trail you have to work for, but still better than any old school trails like Wrandees or Whopper Classic.

2 Likes

I like the really tough climbs in Evil Birch. Such a difficult trail to ride smoothly. Nearly impossible to get through it dab-free.

3 Likes

I agree, I like EB for exactly that, challenging climbs, and fun DH sections. But, BH is right, it gets mega overgrown, I typically ride there in early spring, late fall.winter.

2 Likes

The first 10 minutes isā€¦tough. Once you hit the bridge it opens up and gets a little easier but that first few minutes will test your skills for sure. One of my favorite but least ridden trails

4 Likes

I was trying to show this trail to a co-worker but it looks like this trail has been hidden on trail forks.

Which sucks for describing to people how to get in there safely. We need to go back to the old Pedal Trout pdfs, lol.

Yeah, somebody here has decided that unsanctioned trails should not be on TrailForks. meanwhile other areas have tons of unsanctioned trails listed.

Yeah, I think that is the case. Not exactly a fair treatment across trailforks.

People will ride there. It is better that they enter the right way. Park at kent and ride down shoulder of the road.

The quarry will be closed soon I think too.

The trail system options in Halifax are quickly dropping to one it seems.

4 Likes

Fight or flight eh?

5 Likes

I rode it a couple of times in April,you can share my Strava tracks with him.
Entrance to trail from gravel pit has been covered with boulders which will make it even harder to find for a first timer.

1 Like