Front wheel issue

Alright, I have my mtb back up and working well but im having one little issue. When take a hard turn or heavy on the front brakes the front tire will pull to the side and rub into the front fork. The quick release and axles are all tight on the front wheel. It does sit a little off center in the fork. What would cause the flex or movement side to side?

Is your rim straight and all your spokes are tight?

1 Like

It sounds like an issue I had with my old cross bike. While the rim was true, the spoke tension was way off and the wheel was improperly dished. I had the wheel rebuilt with proper dish and tension and never had the problem again.

1 Like

Rim is straight. Ill have to check the spokes

I also put new tires on, it didnt do this before.

Your tires are too wide. Rims all flex a bit. They need more clearance than just a mm you get when looking at your bike when it’s just sitting there.

Are you sure the tire bead is fully seated? That could explain why it’s off-centre. When you inflated it, did it ‘pop’ into place? There is a thin line that goes all the way around that sits about 4mm off the edge of the rim. It should be consistently spaced. Tire could also be too wide for your fork.

1 Like

I’ll check the bead. I know they arent too wide. They are 2.3", I’ve had 2.5" on there before

Sounds like a dishing issue. Ive had a few rears out of dish. True but not dished corectly.

Sitting off-center in the fork sounds suspicious. Probably obvious, but if it’s a regular qr, release and make sure the fork is sitting all the way down on the axle and retighten. Through axle won’t have this issue.

Send a pic of the tire off center

I’ll take one when i get hone from work

Kind of hard to tell. But it is out a bit

Sitting off-center in the fork sounds suspicious. Probably obvious, but if it’s a regular qr, release and make sure the fork is sitting all the way down on the axle and retighten. Through axle won’t have this issue.

With that regular QR, I’d double check what @rockhopper said. Loosen the QR, pick it up by the wheel and drop it with the fork on the axle and then retighten, making sure it’s all the way on.

Why is your qr pointing like this? Chek ur cabels!

3 Likes

Not sure what you mean…

Quick release handle should be firm but not too tight back over the bottom of the fork. Thats sticking out. Could catch trail debris and pop loose or end up hiting a bodypart by accident!

I prefer the horizontal position.
QuickReleases

1 Like

I’m a vertical method person, when the fork allows. I like things tucked away.

2 Likes

As long as the opening is facing away from open twords forward. Ive never considered facing it up I guess!

Oh i get it.

1 Like