GoPro etc. Discussion thread

Thanks, guys.

@IanM_MTB, on some rides where I was using the chest mount, on the video I would hear some thumping, and then I noticed this blue thing come flying in from the side… I now tuck my Camelbak sipper tube under my chest strap. :slight_smile:

I’ve also noticed that when using the chesty my gopro picks up my heart beat…kind of creepy

3 Likes

Tried out TimeWarp (Time Lapse) on the Hero 8 for the first time on the group ride last Tuesday night. I left the speed in Auto, and the video seems too fast:

It compressed about 25 min. of riding to about a minute. Will try setting it manually to 10x next time. Image stabilization looks pretty good though. Again, no gimbal.
4 Likes

Does it choose the compression based on how long you were riding? For example, if you had only been riding for 10-minutes, would it have used 10x to compress to a minute? My initial thought is that GoPro limits clips to 1 minute to allow for easy sharing on Instagram and other sites with limitations. :thinking:

I don’t think that’s how it chose the compression. I think you can shoot any length of video, but the Quick software downloadable for Windows does only allow one minute videos. I don’t know how it decided what speed to use. From what I’ve read, slower speed may degrade the stabilization, so there may be a tradeoff. The GoPro app on my iPhone looks like it will allow me to speed up a TimeWarp video, but not slow it down. So, I could try shooting slower and then speed up in software, but that might give poorer stabilization. Will try again next ride.

1 Like

A couple of recent video clips:

Really enjoying the image stabilization on the Hero 8, but it does smooth out jumps and drops and make them look a lot less impressive. Best to reduce it or turn off for jumps.

I also recently got a saddle rail mount so that I can shoot riders behind or someone else can shoot me from the front instead of getting butt shots all the time.

I also need to remember to tuck my camel back sipper under the straps so it doesn’t fly into the camera shot when I’m wearing the chest mount. :slight_smile:

2 Likes