Hitch and bike rack questions

Getting ready for road trip season.
Concerned re amount of wobble in bike rack. It’s a CCM 2-bike hitch platform, purchased 1 yr ago. Hitch receiver is 2”.
Bolt goes through hole but barely any thread on other side to secure tightly with nut. Im not convinced the anti wobble hitch pin at end of bolt is doing its job.

I haven’t had any issues yet, just kinda scary when looking in rearview and see bike(s) bobbing up and down and swaying when on bumpy roads!

1. How much wobble is normal with this type of set up? Dependent on 0-2 bikes?

2. Can i just get a new bolt with longer thread to be able to fasten a nut on securely?

3. Does the rust on hitch receiver make it worse, ie would it be best to replace with new hitch? Any risks with keeping hitch as is?

Further considerations, suggestions, or advice are welcome.

1 Like

Course of action 2 would be your best bet.

If your concerned take it to a place that does installs and ask them to inspect it.

Losing a rack is not a pleasant experience. Trust me.

1 Like

If the bolt is threaded into a nut only, and not the bike rack itself, then it won’t stop wobble. It won’t tighten the rack on. Some racks have a threaded hole that allows the rack to pull tight against the hitch tube, such as Yakima and Swagman. With CCM, I’d imagine considerable wobble is normal, but so long as it’s secure, it’s fine. There is no reason to replace the hitch unless there is a crack/bending somewhere. Rust here is normal and fine.

2 Likes

There are inserts available that is a wearable item however it cuts down on that rattle and instability. I know they were available for 2" hitches, but im unsure about 1-1/4".

1 Like

Mine wobbles a lot - FWIW I accept the wobble as “normal” - and you should see it when we haul the Tandem -I would say check any bolts on the rack itself. - at one point I had an increase in the wobble and it turned out to be a joint on the rack itself had worked loose.
Also I drilled the hole in the pin so I can put a padlock through it instead of the easily removed clip. While I am careful where I park and leave my bike on the rack out of sight the lock covers me for any clever A’holes who may try to steal the whole thing. I also lock the bike to the rack. So if they want my bike they need an angle grinder or have to steal the whole car.

2 Likes

The hitch itself doesnt look that bad. You can clean it up with a wire brush to remove the peeling paint and the loose rust. From there put some tremclad paint or some grease to protect it from further corrosion

3 Likes

My Thule Wobbles on my 1 1/4 but I plan on it being solid as can be in 2 inch.

I think a long threaded bolt would help but the wobble is normal on that rack for sure and others.

1 Like

Thanks for all these points, very helpful and reassuring. Thinking I’ll pursue the pin and padlock idea beyond the longer threaded bolt, hadn’t thought of that extra precaution.

If you need a shop to look at it goto apple auto glass on kempt. Their amazing

1 Like

I bought an anti rattle device on amazon. won’t solve the short bolt safety problem, but works like charm to stop rattle and the rack swaying.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07J9P971N/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

3 Likes

What an incredibly simple but useful device!

Yes I have the same and works great.