Hitch Mount Rack Recommendations

What about longevity?
My Thule Doubletrack is rusting in a few spots after about 5yrs of use, and that’s April-October on-car.
Newer Thule hitch racks seem to be made of composite (or something…) so surely they’d be resistant to the same fate.
What about other brands? How have they held up over time?

I ran Thule ProRide 598s for 3 years on a roof rack and after that time the plastics were showing signs of getting brittle.

I used a 1-Up hitch rack for years (5? not sure). It was on the car most of the year, including through a full winter. It still looked and functioned pretty much as new when it met its end (an absent minded driver rear ended Kaarin). The 1-ups have no plastic, just machined aluminum and stainless fasteners. It was also the most convenient rack I’ve ever used.

It did seize into the hitch receiver on my car one year, but I think that was my fault for not properly greasing it. I called 1-Up for advice on how to get it out, and they warranteed it anyway, sending me the part of the rack that extends into the receiver.

The downside is $, shipping, and there is no local dealer (direct from manufacturer only, at least back then).

The original inventor and fabricator of the 1Up racks now has a newer design produced by a new company https://quikrstuff.com/

The original 1Up is still available too, I think.

I’m a huge supporter of buying from local LBS and rack shops when possible, but in this case I was very glad to buy and ship direct from a manufacturer.

4 Likes

Yakima does a version of this the “hangover” ya can get that though local channels if needed.
https://yakima.com/products/hangover?_ga=2.173642339.1137355575.1601146412-1828678506.1601146412

1 Like

This is what I have my eyes on for our family’s next rack.

Anyone got a hitch rack for sale? Doesn’t have to be top of the line or anything im just looking to upgrade from my $99 uhual one. Would be going on a civic. Let me know if anyone has one they are looking to get rid of. :grin:

Everyone with a truck bed and tailgate pad must be grinning and laughing like Dr Evil right about now…

I have been using a Thule T2 and it has been great, it does move around a little but have done some diy to make it quiet, it never comes loose (knock on wood).

In terms of racks for sale, haven’t seen much around, I think there may have been some on Facebook, but they may have sold.

1 Like

I may be selling my Yakima Dr Tray soon. The new car is going to have a 2" hitch so I’ll use that opportunity to get a new rack.

1 Like

Yup, except for the sucking gas through a firehose action, ha ha. I’m currently shopping for a hitch install and hitch rack for the non truck vehicle. Going to be nice after twenty five years of a roof rack experience.

1 Like

I have this one for sale, open to offers

What size receiver do you have? I have a year on mine now and its never come loose.

We’re in the market for a hitch / rack on a hatchback as well, coming from a trunk-mount setup. Before that we just took the front wheels off and popped them in the back.

Looking forward to the security / lower drag / clearance that a hitch will offer. As with all other bike-stuff, these are disappearing fast from online vendors.

1.25”. James at Rackology said he’d had to warranty several of the ones he’d sold. You must have got one of the good ones.

Mine is a 2" hitch, wonder if the added stiffness makes a difference. It would certainly flex less

Sportwheels got these SWAGMAN XTC2 TILT HITCH RACK 1 1/4" & 2" HITCH RACK XTC 2 - Sportwheels Sports Excellence
and these SWAGMAN XTC2 HITCH RACK 1 1/4" & 2" HITCH RACK XTC 2 - Sportwheels Sports Excellence
and a couple of Saris models in stock atm.

1 Like

Go with a Thule classic x2 if you can find one. I wouldn’t mess around with spending 200 or 300 on a lesser rack. I got mine used for 250 with spare trays, adaptors and locks. They are the way to go.

1 Like

I’ve had the T2 Classic, and the T2 XT, both have treated me very well with no issues. Sorry to hear that dude!