HNTW Presenation to Chebucto Community Council

Interesting view on Open Street Maps shows whopper trails with overlay of planned roads:
http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=44.65186&lon=-63.68478&zoom=16&layers=M

I’m on the mailing list of the Halifax Northwest Trails Assoication. Last week I received an e-mail indicating that a board member of the Halifax Northwest Trails Association will be making a presentation to Chebucto Community Council at their meeting at Keshan Goodwin Library tonight (Monday July 4) at 7PM re sale of land behind Kent Building Supplies in Bayers Lake.

Text of e-mail:
HRM Regional Council has entered into Private Negotiations with Banc Developments for the sale and development of 180-190 acres in Bayer Lakes Business Park.

The north section of this development borders on the Blue Mountain- Birch Cove Lakes Wilderness Area, which includes a trail head leading into Susies Lake. Originating in Fairview, this trail can be traced back to 1933. Presently, there is no legal access. The HRM owns 37 acres immediately behind Kent Building Supplies, the site in question.

Bruce E Smith, a Board Member of the Halifax North West Trail Association will make a presentation to the Cheubucto Community Council on July 4 at 7:00pm, at the Keshan Goodman Library.

The specific request to Our Councillors will be to save thsi 37 acres from development and to secure it as a Wilderness Area for future generations. Perhaps it could be incorporated into the proposed BMBCL Regional Park.

Just saw this at 10pm. who went? how did it go?

You know what? After I posted this, I got busy around the house, lost track of time and completely missed it!!!

Another meeting happening tonight. I’ll try to make this one.

I actually made this meeting! :slight_smile:
Some positive stuff to report, actually. Unfortunately, my hearing memory is terrible, so if you’re really interested, you should go here to read the official minutes when they come out:
halifax.ca/commcoun/ccc/agenda.html
Bruce Smith of the Halifax North West Trails Association presented a report expressing concern that with the new development in Bayers Lake that there would be no access to the Susie Lake hiking trail. Councillor Linda Mosher asked the HRM Business Parks Manager to give some information regarding this. If I heard correctly, they are trying to make sure that there is public access, as well as some improvements to the trailhead. In some conversations after the meeting, I understood that some of these issues may be addressed as part of the negotiations with the developer, but the details cannot be released until the negotiations are complete. There will be an opportunity to respond then. Bruce Smith also suggested that HRM consider purchasing some land adjacent to the wilderness and developed area, which could perhaps be used to build mountain bike trails. Councillors took an interest in this, and looked at a map of the area.
Councillor Linda Mosher added an item to the agenda, regarding the setting aside of land for a mountain bike trail. She asked for a motion (which was passed) for staff to work on this, and submit a report. She noted that she had received concerned letterfs from mountain bikers regarding the loss of the Whopper Dropper trail, and discussed the issue with Peter Bigelow, an HRM staffer and mountain biker.
Afterwards, I talked with her privately, to thank her as a mountain biker for her motion. She noted that she has ridden a mountain bike, and hopes to again soon. I informed her of the development of a mountain-bike specific park in (at Shamrock Park) in Saint John, and that the town of Wolfville is considering building a mountain bike park as well.

Nice! Glad you could make it, Eric. Thanks for the update.

Copied from Chebucto Community Council minutes of Aug.8:

Preserving or Establishing Formal HRM Owned Mountain Bike Trails in

the Chebucto Community Council Area Councillor

Mosher

Councillor Mosher advised that this request came as a result of new development in

Bayers Lake that would discontinue use of the ‘Whopper Dropper’ which is an unofficial

mountain bike trail.

HALIFAX REGIONAL MUNICIPALITY 11

Chebucto Community Council Minutes August 8, 2011

MOVED by Councillor Mosher, seconded by Councillor Wile that Chebucto

Community Council request a staff report regarding the potential of preserving or

establishing a formal outdoor mountain bike system in the Chebucto Community

Council area to be owned and maintained by HRM.

Councillors Hum and Wile indicated that they had already been speaking with staff

regarding the potential for a formalized trail at Glenbourne Field, another unofficial trail.

Copied from Chebucto Community Council minutes of Aug.8:

Preserving or Establishing Formal HRM Owned Mountain Bike Trails in the Chebucto Community Council Area

Councillor Mosher

Councillor Mosher advised that this request came as a result of new development in Bayers Lake that would discontinue use of the ‘Whopper Dropper’ which is an unofficial mountain bike trail.

HALIFAX REGIONAL MUNICIPALITY 11

Chebucto Community Council Minutes August 8, 2011

MOVED by Councillor Mosher, seconded by Councillor Wile that Chebucto Community Council request a staff report regarding the potential of preserving or establishing a formal outdoor mountain bike system in the Chebucto Community Council area to be owned and maintained by HRM.

Councillors Hum and Wile indicated that they had already been speaking with staff regarding the potential for a formalized trail at Glenbourne Field, another unofficial trail.

I notice that this motion was on the agenda of the Oct. 3 Chebucto Community Council meeting, but I was not able to attend, and the minutes have not been posted yet.

Again, copied from minutes:
7.2 Presentation Blue

Mountain Birch

Cove Lake Wilderness Reserve –

Mr. Bruce E. Smith, Halifax North West Trails Association

Mr. Bruce Smith, Halifax North West Trails Association, provided a presentation on the Blue Mountain Birch Cove Lake Wilderness Reserve and expressed concern regarding 180 to 190 acres that was recently sold to Bank Developments. He indicated that a trail head behind Kent Building Supplies in the Bayers Lake Business Park was the last remaining section of that trail dating back to the 1930s and that this trail connects to the Blue Mountain Birch Cove Lakes area? noting that the area could be set up as a picnic park. Mr. Smith stated that the developer has begun cutting paths and expressed concern regarding the wilderness area that boarders Suzie’s Lake that was sold. He indicated that, presently, the community had no legal access to the wilderness area as a result of the land being sold and they may never have it back again. He advised that, if the plan goes through for 37 acres, the area was ideally suited to be a park as there would be a cul de sac which would allow access and parking for the wilderness area as well as a natural granite park and would lead into the lake.

Mr. Michael Wile, Manager of HRM Business Parks, provided further background information regarding this matter? noting that staff was in the process of a real estate development with Bank Developments including 180190 acres of land? noting that the trail head and parkland matter was still under discussion. He indicated that the trail would have an additional piece of property that would provide street frontage? noting this was all covered under the subdivision Bylaw and that there would be more parking and trail head than there was currently.

Mr. Wile stated that HRM has commissioned a HALIFAX REGIONAL MUNICIPALITY survey of lands and residents would see some survey lines blazed through natural areas as a result.

In response to a question posed by Councillor Mosher, Mr. Wile stated that HRM would, in fact, facilitate easier connection to parkland and parking areas and that the dedicated parkland area would be retained by HRM as it was not being transferred under this purchase and sale agreement. He also indicated that staff have placed covenants on the land to protect development from the park interface and have taken extra care to include protections for the look and feel of the parkland? noting that there would also be some grading changes to create a buffer between the buildings and any new development.

MOVED by Councillor Wile, seconded by Councillor Mosher that Chebucto Community Council request a report on the presentation regarding the Blue Mountain Birch Cove Lake Wilderness Reserve including any relevant information staff are able to bring forward pertaining to this matter at this time.

MOTION PUT AND PASSED.

give them the whopper, fight for access around blue mountain.

Oh boy, they’re requesting a report.

take pictures of the better spots in whopper or your favorite trail. plan such things as trail closures when weather is inclimate weather and what not, set up a steady maintenance plan. parking, possible routes… maybe examples of succesful trails. people with knowledge on building trails…

Oh boy, they’re requesting a report.

Better than not.

Posted on the Chebucto Community Council Agenda for tonight:

10.2.1 Blue Mountain Birch Cove Lakes Regional Park and Bayers Lake Business Park Status Update – Councillor Hum

I may go. Doesn’t look like there’s much else on the agenda, so hopefully will be a short meeting.

Did you end up going tonight Eric? Any updates of interest?

I did go to the meeting. Showed up 10 minutes late. They’d already blown past that part of the agenda!
I talked with some people afterward. Apparently, all that they did was give notice that there will be a public meeting on the park:

May 31, 7PM
St. Peter’s Church Hall
3 Dakin Dr. (corner of Bedford Highway and Kearney Lake Rd.)

I talked with Bruce Smith of the Halifax Northwest Trails Association, who recommended that we try to get a good showing of mountain bikers there to represent our interests. There is a parcel of land that he suggested we try to get set aside as part of the park. This land contains the downhill side (toward the powerlines) of the Whopper Dropper Main Trail.

On a related note, I dug through the Chebucto Community Council minutes, and found this from Dec.5, 2011 (I did not attend this meeting):

4.1.8 Preserving or Establishing Formal HRM Owned Mountain Bike Trails in

the Chebucto Community Council

Mr. Peter Bigelow, Manager of Real Property Planning, provided an update on this

matter? noting that staff was carrying out a level of planning which would lead to a

location where potential HRM owned mountain bike trails may be created. He advised

that a report would be brought forward to Regional Council on this matter as part of the

overall efforts with the Blue Mountain Birch Cove Regional Park and Wilderness area

initiative.

Councillor Hum requested that an overview of Mr. Bigelow’s comments be forwarded to

the Active Transportation Advisory Committee.

Councillor Mosher indicated that this item could be removed from the Status Sheet and

requested that a summary of Mr. Bigelow’s comments be sent to the members of

Community Council to provide to residents.

On a related note, I dug through the Chebucto Community Council minutes, and found this from Dec.5, 2011 (I did not attend this meeting):

**4.1.8 Preserving or Establishing Formal HRM Owned Mountain Bike Trails in
** **the Chebucto Community Council

Mr. Peter Bigelow, Manager of Real Property Planning, provided an update on this
matter? noting that staff was carrying out a level of planning which would lead to a
location where potential HRM owned mountain bike trails may be created. *(emphasis added - Rockhopper) *He advised
that a report would be brought forward to Regional Council on this matter as part of the
overall efforts with the Blue Mountain Birch Cove Regional Park and Wilderness area
initiative.

Councillor Hum requested that an overview of Mr. Bigelow’s comments be forwarded to
the Active Transportation Advisory Committee.

Councillor Mosher indicated that this item could be removed from the Status Sheet and
requested that a summary of Mr. Bigelow’s comments be sent to the members of
Community Council to provide to residents.