I Need A New Fork - Not sure how to talk about it

I’m pretty sure I need to replace the fork on my ‘salt grinder’ daily commuter, but have no idea what to look for. One thing I know for sure … it has to be cheap. I’m not opposed to installing a rigid fork if it will save cash. Any advice?

Easy, EBay Suntour or EBay rigid, get a pipecutter and its pretty much Lego from there!

other than the 1 1/8" straight steerer, do I have to pay attention to sizing?

Wheel size and travel would be the two other main things to look out for. V-brake mounts too

Definitely put a rigid fork on it. Should be less than a hundred bucks.

3 Likes

Maybe try finding something used on pinkbike too, but to be honest, finding a 26" - 1 1/8" steerer small travel fork with v-brakes is gonna be difficult. Rigid is likely gonna be your easiest route and least expensive.

1 Like

Why do you need a new fork? If it’s seized up and toast, and this is your “salt grinder” then, your best bet is to leave it there. It’s converted to a rigid for you. Some of the larger shops in Halifax have stock of rigid forks you need if it about looks. No suspension fork is designed to last in the winter with the salty roads. So unless you’re mountain biking with this, skip the hassle and do nothing or go rigid.

2 Likes

Oh Gawd, the “suspension” fork that’s on it now was rigid the day I bought it off kijiji. Theres just so much lateral movement in the stantions, and the drop out are barely there that, in the spirit of safety I’m looking for options.

Best thing that I can think of is a Kona project two fork from cyclesmith.

3 Likes

One consideration is axle to crown length. You will want to be pretty close to the original spec on your bike, otherwise the handling will change. I have a used Kona Project 2 off of my Rove if you are interested.

The Project 2 forks are all suspension corrected. So it’s axle to crown is like a suspension fork. Not sure for which travel, but more than none anyway.

1 Like

I might be interested in that fork. That is if @glenfidich isn’t. 1 1/8 straight with quick release?

Surly 1x1 is another option if you can find one.

They’re suspension corrected to 100mm and come in 26-QR-V&Disc-straight steerer