Literally rode the pedals off

Yes, I literally rode the pedals off my bike. Well the pedal at least. Seized bearings meant the pedal (left) unscrewed and decided to strip the aluminum crank on ts way out. Sigh.

For now I have replaced it with a slightly shorter crank arm until i can find a new or slightly used one of the same length.

But it is a good reason to ride clipped in. the pedal fell off but I didn’t lose it in traffic!

yikes, you were somewhat lucky though!

There’s no real good reason not to ride clipped in on the road.

Funny I ripped out a pedal yesterday too. I think I’m just going to put a helicoil in my crank thou rather then get new ones for now.

[quote=“IanL”]Yes, I literally rode the pedals off my bike. Well the pedal at least. Seized bearings meant the pedal (left) unscrewed and decided to strip the aluminum crank on ts way out. Sigh.

For now I have replaced it with a slightly shorter crank arm until i can find a new or slightly used one of the same length.

But it is a good reason to ride clipped in. the pedal fell off but I didn’t lose it in traffic![/quote]

Why would you want to keep a bum pedal, though?

Well I would rather have kept the crank for sure, but the pedal was fixable. So at least I saved something out of this mess.

All is not lost, then!