Lyrik or Pike

Trying to decide whether to go with a Lyrik or Pike Ultimate. Both would be 150mm travel, 51mm offset for a 29er.

Pros and Cons or why one would be better than the other?

Both have 35 mm stanchions, but the Lyrik’s are thicker and therefore it’s slightly heavier. Lyrik is (noticeably) stiffer. Otherwise, I think the internals are largely the same. I’ll take the small weight penalty for the burlier feel of the Lyrik.

3 Likes

Fox 36 Grip2.

3 Likes

@brightwhite nailed it. The internals are the same, the Lyrik chassis is just stiffer. Like Jeff if I was buying a fork I would get a Lyrik for the stiffness and take the weight penalty, but the Pike does tend to be cheaper. I am also running a 2019 Pike that came on my bike. I have it bumped up to 160mm travel with a charger 2.1 cartridge upgrade and have no complaints about the stiffness and i’m 265lbs.

3 Likes

I’m leaning towards the Lyrik although the Pike is pretty decent. I guess I just needed to be convinced. Hehe

I’m w/ which is ValueAble and easy to get serviceable parts.

1 Like

For the small weight difference I don’t see a point in getting the pike over the lyric unless there’s a big money difference.

Although I’d look at a 36, I’ve had 10 years on Rockshox and 1 on Fox and like the 34 on my Trance.

1 Like

I was always a Fox guy, but I’ve yet to try to the new 36 Grip2 forks. My last 2016 Fox 36 Factory did not have anywhere near the small bump compliance of my 2017 Lyrik, and I know all of the new forks are even better. All that to say, I love Fox, but have been very happy with my RS suspension overall compared to the Fox stuff I always used to run. I do, however, like to match my fork to the rear shock, so I would not choose to run a Fox fork up front with a Super Deluxe in the rear.

2 Likes

Fox 36 would be too pricey imo. And I’ve read of reviews wherein tuning the Fox fork can be tedious as compared to RS

36 and Lyrik are about the same price, generally.

1 Like

I bought my 36 when I was working in a shop last summer, so I can’t really comment on cost. I chose it based on the reviews of the Grip2 damper, I hasn’t disappointed me.

2 Likes

@brightwhite glad I’m not the only one who refuses to run mismatched suspension!

I’ve ran many fox forks but my last couple of fox forks, which I admit were many years ago, left me wanting more and I’ve been on rock Shox for the past 5 years with no real complaints. Granted I wasn’t running the top of the line fox gear but I preferred the feel of the comparable rock shox stuff and when the pike was released it spoke to me in ways my current at the time fox fork couldn’t. No doubt fox makes a great product, but I’m solidly in the rock shox camp now.

But with the current crop of forks your hard pressed to choose wrong between a pike, lyrik, or even a 36 in my opinion.

1 Like

Don’t overlook the new Marzocchi forks. I was looking at the Z2 but went with the Z1 because the weight penalty doesn’t mean much when you’re 230ish lbs, and the extra support has made a huge difference. Very well reviewed, without the bells and whistles that you’d need to be at a pretty high level to appreciate. Plus the prices are easier to swallow.

5 Likes