Mac Run Tires

I don’t ride as hard or as fast as some of the others on here, however last summer I found good results with a DHF 2.5Wt front/ Ardent 2.4 rear tubeless setup- nice combo of grip/cornering/rolling resistance IMHO. mainly rode McRun but also lots of days at railyard, keppoch, wentworth, Minto and Quebec in all different weather conditions. Previous to that I was on a DHF/Aggressor combo which I really liked as well although I had difficulty getting that particular aggressor to setup tubeless.
This year I’m on an Assegai front/DHRII rear that came with my bike-lots of grip but likely too much rolling resistance for this particular meat engine-however have changed too many other variables this year to really comment. When those wear out I’ll likely go back to DHF/Ardent.
I’ve been forekaster curious though and just saw this review on NSMB

I ran dual forekasters during the pandemic when i was riding from home to all the local trails, mostly whopper. I still cant remember why that was a rule but i am sure it helped.

Anyway, they were the fastest rolling tired i have ever used, including my current gravel set up on 50C gravel kings. They ripped.

The caveat however was that at ludacris g out speeds they wouldn’t stay on my rims causing facial destruction into granite surfaces.

I would use them again with the new compound Maxxis is offering in the right setting.

3 Likes

As I was behind him when his face hit the granite due to Forekasters, I pledged then and there to never ever use them.

3 Likes

The rolling speed is still unquestionable.

2 Likes

Yeah, your face rolled quite quickly into that rock.

6 Likes

I’ll throw my two cents in here- I switched to a rear dual compound Aggressor late last season and have used it this season. It’s good in most conditions, rolls pretty easy and has good traction most of the time. Falls a little short if it’s wet/rooty but hooks up well again if it does loose traction. I do wish it had slightly larger side knobs, I think that would help.

1 Like

Jeesus, that’s not good!

2 Likes

I’ve been running Michelin AM 2’s front and back. Previously used the Enduro front and rear but found the front a bit square. The AM 2’s are a bit more rounded but I will probably go back to the Enduro rear. All these are 35% off at MEC at the moment. $74 per tire.

2 Likes

I got a set of Schwalbe Wicked Will tires with their “Super Trail” (like EXO+) casing. Much smaller treat, but fine for all of the granite and hard pack we have, and 300g lighter per tire.

They seem like great tires for MacRun, as I think many people run way too much tire there (as I have done).

Fast!

I think the biggest issue around the “too much tire for Mac Run” argument is that most of us don’t just ride Mac Run. I probably spend as much or more time in Bowater as on granite surfaces, and the fact is, a 2.4-2.6" sticky rubber tire is much better on slick wet roots, soft loam and other mixed terrain. Same as Wentworth.

I have zero interest in running a lower volume tire, harder compound tire if it would mean having to swap for other trail systems. I’d rather spend a bit more and have to replace them more often and get a better overall experience. That’s just me.

Then again, one of the fastest rides I’ve ever done through the Mac Run system was on my gravel bike with 45mm Maxxis Rambler tires in a hard-ish compound. Of course, not really hitting the gnarlier bits on that ride.

14 Likes